Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Villagers fence off disputed land

Villagers fence off disputed land

Villagers fence off disputed land

Eighty villagers representing 384 families in Rattanakri’s Andong Meas district yesterday stopped a Vietnamese company from clearing a contested segment of protected forest by building a fence and detaining four bulldozers, according to local representatives.

The Jing Ly Investment Co Ltd began bulldozing the disputed area in April despite objections. In response, the villagers, including committee members from Kahol village in Malik commune, placed fences around 360 hectares of forest, according to a provincial representative of rights group Adhoc

Committee member Sorl Yorn, 41, said that a police officer, who guards the property with a rifle, warned the people not to stop the bulldozers, but the villagers far outnumbered the policeman, who fled, along with three drivers and three assistants, abandoning the vehicles.

“The officer [told] us we have no right to stop the clearing,” said Yorn, “But we replied they have no right to clear this forest, and then they just escaped.”

Villagers then tagged the bulldozers with red ink which read: “No clearing the protected forest land and wildlife habitats”.

If the company keeps clearing, the villagers will intercept it again, he said.

Chhay Thy, Rattanakiri provincial coordinator for Adhoc, said the villagers filed a complaint to all levels of authority in 2013 demanding the 360 hectares of land be cut out of an economic land concession to Jing Ly, but their claim has not been addressed. “This is a non-violent action, so it is legal,” Thy said.

District Governor Norng Darith said authorities had not needed to intervene in the villagers’ protest. “If they do something illegal, we will educate them accordance with the law,” he said, adding the land had been legally granted to the firm.

MOST VIEWED

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s