Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Villagers report threat to bulldoze homes along highway

Villagers report threat to bulldoze homes along highway

Villagers report threat to bulldoze homes along highway

MORE than 80 families in Russey Keo district have been given a week to vacate land along National Road 6 to make way for a highway expansion project, village representatives said yesterday.

Sing Phun, 46, a representative of 86 families who are set to be affected by the project in Chruoy Changvar commune’s Kean Klaing village, said authorities called them to a meeting at Russey Keo district hall yesterday, where they were ordered to vacate their current land within a week.
He said villagers were told to move to a relocation site about 25 kilometres away in Kandal province.

“They forced us to accept the land plots [measuring] 6 metres by 12 metres and 2 million riels [around US$476] in cash for relocating,” he said.

“They threatened to bulldoze our homes in seven days if we disagree, but we are not scared and objected to their eviction plan at the meeting.”

Sing Phun said the villagers will go to protest at City Hall today to call on Phnom Penh governor Kep Chuktema to grant them more compensation.

The $143,199 road expansion project is intended to ease traffic jams on a 4-kilometre stretch of National Road 6 running north from the Cambodian-Japanese Friendship Bridge. The project will expand the road from a width of 25 metres to 60 metres, including a 3-metre-wide pavement on each side and a 2.5-metre median strip.

Russey Keo district governor Khlaing Huot yesterday denied that a relocation order had been handed down, and said villagers were receiving money because they were being affected by the road-widening project.

“We never forced them to relocate,” he said. “We made efforts to help them receive the land and have some funds to live in peace.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Government hits back at threats to pull EBA, suspend UN seat

    The spokesman for the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) has said the government is in no way concerned after the European Parliament gave it three months to reverse what it called the “systematic repression of the political opposition”. Ignoring the ultimatum could mean facing

  • Chinese influx pushing locals, Westerners out of Preah Sihanouk

    Some within the Kingdom’s tourism industry have speculated that the recent influx of Chinese visitors may hinder domestic tourism as the price of accommodations in the coastal city of Sihanoukville continues to rise. Preah Sihanouk province, which has become a hotbed for Chinese investment

  • Sar Kheng: Sokha requested security

    Interior Minister Sar Kheng on Sunday revealed the story behind the transfer of former opposition party leader Kem Sokha from Trapaing Phlong prison in Tbong Khmum province to his house in the capital. Speaking at the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) headquarters in Prey

  • Chinese living in Kingdom more than doubles since ’17

    The number of Chinese nationals living in Cambodia this year has increased to more than 210,000. The figure rose from last year’s 100,000, the newly appointed Secretary of State Sok Phal confirmed yesterday. He said: “Of the 210,000, more than 78,000 are living in Preah Sihanouk [province], but