Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Villagers say SLC broker cheated them



Villagers say SLC broker cheated them

A man takes photos of the forest destruction on a social land concession in Stung Treng’s Thala Barivat district late last year. ADHOC
A man takes photos of the forest destruction on a social land concession in Stung Treng’s Thala Barivat district late last year. ADHOC

Villagers say SLC broker cheated them

Some 1,500 hectares in social land concessions granted to families in Stung Treng province are being illegally cleared and sold by the community’s land broker, according to locals and rights group Adhoc.

The forested area was allocated to 117 families in 2013 via broker Ngin Sary, who local activists say has already begun employing workers to log and sell resin trees without authorisation from the provincial authority.

“The conditions of the social land concession are not yet complete, but [Sary] has already carried out a lot of activity on it,” said Hou Sam Ol, provincial coordinator for Adhoc, to whom 93 local Cham Muslim families this week filed a complaint. “Many resin trees have been logged and this affects the income of the community.”

Villager Hang Kien claimed that Sary has also sold plots from the social land concession to newcomers from Kampong Cham province at prices of up to $1,500.

“My land was also for sale, but I pleaded with them not to take it,” he said. “I have nothing else to cultivate on and I told the land buyer ‘please have pity on me’.”

Neither the buyers nor Sary could be contacted for comment on the allegations, but provincial deputy governor, Duong Pov, acknowledged the irregular sale of land in the area, noting that the district authority was investigating the case.

He added that local authorities were also facing problems from illegal outside land-grabbers who posed a threat to Sary.

“We always allocate land for the local villagers. Resin trees are everywhere and some people took them as an excuse to grab land,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through