The Apsara Authority has warned Angkor Wat visitors against playing Pokemon Go in the complex, though it has not yet joined the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum in banning the smartphone game.
A statement released on Friday reminded tourists not to enter the forbidden sections of the temple in hopes of capturing Pokemon and asked them to stay aware of their surroundings.
“For your safety and the conservation of Angkor please respect the sacredness of the temple, please respect all signs, please do not enter dangerous areas,” read the announcement, released in six different languages
“This game is dangerous”, added Chao Sun Keriya, Apsara spokeswoman. When asked if the game would be banned at Angkor Wat, Kreyia said, “we are still discussing potential action. For now, we will do nothing.”
Earlier this month, officials at Tuol Sleng in Phnom Penh banned visitors from playing the game. Chayy Visoth, director of the museum, told the Post that he was looking into contacting the game’s developer, Niantic, to have it removed. But a visit yesterday showed Pokemon characters still appeared inside.