Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - VN nationals held over Stung Treng illegal fishing and poaching




VN nationals held over Stung Treng illegal fishing and poaching

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A Vietnamese national was arrested for “illegal poaching” in Stung Treng. Police

VN nationals held over Stung Treng illegal fishing and poaching

Six Vietnamese nationals who were detained on Wednesday for “illegal fishing and poaching” in Stung Treng province’s Sesan district will be sent to court on Friday, the provincial Military Police said.

The six were arrested on the same day by the district Military Police in two separate instances. Two of them were detained for fishing in a protected area near the Lower Sesan II Dam, the district Military Police commander who participated in both operations, Sok Rithy, said on Thursday.

The duo was identified as brothers aged 29 and 22, residing at Phluk commune’s Phluk village in Sesan district.

Rithy recounted that one day prior to their arrest, a joint task force consisting of fisheries department officials and Military Police officers found the two suspects fishing – using two different boats – in the restricted area, while on patrol along Sesan river.

The two escaped and left a 400-metre net and other fishing equipment upon seeing the authorities, he said.

“The authorities gathered and confiscated the evidence before putting it on their boat and docking it near the [Lower Sesan II] power dam overnight. The following morning, they found the boat and evidence had gone missing,” he said.

Following an extended investigation, he continued, the team located the evidence on another boat that was docked in front of the suspects’ house, where they were arrested and interrogated.

According to Rithy, the two admitted stealing the authorities’ boat and sinking it in the middle of the river, taking only the evidence with them.

“We have yet to find the sunken boat until now,” he said.

Later on Wednesday, police detained the other four Vietnamese nationals with the remains of a rabbit and porcupine that were allegedly hunted illegally in the protected area.

Other evidence found during the crackdown included a home-made gun, bullets and explosives.

Rithy said the six suspects were sent to the Stung Treng provincial Military Police headquarters “to be followed with legal procedures”.

Speaking to The Post on Thursday, provincial Military Police commander Ieng Vandy said the two suspects had been charged with “unauthorised fishing in a prohibited area and stealing with aggravated circumstances”, while the other four were charged for “illegal wildlife hunting and possession of weapons without permission”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that