Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - VN official visits Kampong Chhnang floating village



VN official visits Kampong Chhnang floating village

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Vietnamese secretary of Can Tho Municipal Party Committee Tran Quoc Trung (left) meets with Ministry of Interior secretary of state Sok Phal on Tuesday. Photo supplied

VN official visits Kampong Chhnang floating village

Vietnamese secretary of Can Tho Municipal Party Committee Tran Quoc Trung visited Kampong Chhnang province to meet the Vietnamese residents of floating villages on the Tonle Sap river, Ministry of Interior secretary of state Sok Phal told The Post on Wednesday.

Trung paid the visit as provincial authorities assist some 4,563 families in relocating to higher ground, saying they’ve been asked to move to preserve the river’s water quality, natural resources and biodiversity.

“[Trung] visited because he wanted to witness the relocation of residents who live in the floating villages to higher ground in Kampong Chhnang province. There are people from his province and he wants to help because all of them are still [Vietnamese] immigrants.

“He came to help them move to higher ground . . . the main thing is that he asked for permission before assisting them. He agrees with the relocation plan, and it is normal for him to ask us before coming to pay attention to his community’s concerns,” Phal said.

Phal said he met with Trung on Tuesday afternoon at the ministry to discuss security, immigration and university scholarships.

Kampong Chhnang deputy provincial governor Sun Sovannarith confirmed to The Post that Trung had visited the province and met with provincial officials before visiting residents of the floating villages.

“He came to have a friendly discussion with us and then he met the [Vietnamese immigrants],” he said.

Sovannarith said provincial authorities had been gradually moving the residents to the property of a private citizen, where they may rent land to live on but have “no right to occupy it as their own”.

The provincial administration announced last week that Cambodian and Muslim residents would be granted a 5m by 20m plot if they willingly agreed to relocate. However, Vietnamese nationals are not entitled to property as they are not Cambodian citizens, according to the announcement.

According to official data from the provincial administration, there are a total of 4,563 families to be relocated from the river. Of those families, 2,480, or some 10,311 people, are of Vietnamese origin.

A total of 2,010 Cambodian families, amounting to 9,168 people, and 73 Muslim families, 243 people, are also to be moved.

Adhoc provincial coordinator Som Chankea could not be reached for comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Phnom Penh underpass opens to ease traffic

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced a temporary opening of the 488m underpass at the Chaom Chao roundabout in Phnom Penh’s Por Sen Chey district, which was recently completed to connect traffic from National Road 4 to Russian Federation Blvd. The move is to reduce

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • ‘No chance Cambodia booted out of ASEAN’

    A group of former and current Cambodian diplomats on Tuesday fired back at retired Singaporean diplomat Bihalari Kausikan after he proposed that ASEAN dismiss Cambodia and Laos from the bloc. In an open letter, the Cambodian diplomats said Kausikan’s remarks were made from a

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital

  • Show evidence of Chinese military base, critics told

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Monday said he had had enough of certain countries and opposition groups claiming Cambodia had allowed China to base its military in Cambodia and dared critics to show clear evidence. Hun Sen made the remarks while presiding over a groudbreaking