Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Voter list posting draws 15 complaints, NEC says

Voter list posting draws 15 complaints, NEC says

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The National Election Committee headquarters in Phnom Penh. Heng Chivoan

Voter list posting draws 15 complaints, NEC says

As of January 9, a total of 15 complaints had been filed by citizens to their commune councils nationwide regarding their election registration either being incorrect or improperly deleted, according to the National Election Committee (NEC).

The complaints were officially made after the initial posting of the lists of registered voters and removed names. The voter lists were posted at commune halls across the country from January 3 until January 14 as well as on social media platforms like Facebook.

NEC said in a press statement on January 10 that the 15 complaints were received by commune councils and are being solved at that level as a starting point. None of the complaints has reached the NEC or the Constitutional Council, which are the upper levels for solving such complaints forwarded on from the commune councils.

NEC said the process of solving the complaints went through three stages. Firstly, the filing of a complaint must be made within 10 days of the date of the posting of the voter lists and a decision on the complaints must be made within three days of the date when the complaint was received.

If there is no solution to be found at the commune level, the complaint must be forwarded to the NEC within five days of the decision from the commune council. The NEC will then make a decision about the complaint within 5 days of the date of receiving the complaint.

Should no solution be found at the NEC, the complaint can be forwarded on to the Constitutional Council within five days of the NEC’s ruling. The Constitutional Council will make a final ruling within 10 days of receiving the complaint.

“The 15 complaints concerned objections by people who did not find their names on the electoral register. However, two of the 15 complaints have now been withdrawn and only 13 remain from people demanding to keep their names on the list,” said NEC spokesman Som Sorida on January 11.

Sam Sokuntheamy, executive director of the Neutral and Impartial Committee for Free and Fair Elections in Cambodia (NICFEC), said on January 11 that the NEC had given voters plenty of opportunity to check their names and make complaint should they find error or their names are not on the list.

He said the small numbers of complaint could be because people are less interested in checking their names.

“Lots of people told me why bother checking the list when the winner of the election is a foregone conclusion already,” he said.

“Not so many people have checked their names. The reason is that the people do not pay much attention. I asked some of them in the provinces I had visited and they said they did not bother because they know who the winner and loser will be,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Final verdicts for Khmer Rouge leaders ‘vital’ for next generation

    Nearly a decade after the commencement of Case 002/02 against Khieu Samphan back in 2014, the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) is now set to deliver its final verdict for the former Khmer Rouge head of state. The Supreme Court Chamber of the ECCC,

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a

  • Textile industry minimum wage now $200

    The official minimum wage for workers in textile-related sectors including garment, footwear, and travel goods for 2023 was pegged at $198, with Prime Minister Hun Sen stepping in to add $2 to the total, making it $200 per month. The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training made the announcement