Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Warning as RCAF rolls past Treng



Warning as RCAF rolls past Treng

Warning as RCAF rolls past Treng

T RENG-RCAF troops have taken ground along Route 10 to establish a new front line

around 12 km west of Treng - but a Western analyst warned the gains may be

illusory.

On June 21 the Post was allowed to go as far as the third front

line at Phum Tuol on the highway which is one of the country's principal flash

points. From the new frontline at Svay Sor village the Khmer Rouge's

headquarters at Pailin lies another 35 km to the west.

Further advances

along the highway were being held up by the KR digging in on the neighboring

Samdech mountains, said General Beth Choy.

He said there had been little

fighting in the last few days and he and other commanders said they were not

expecting an upsurge in the wake of the guerrillas being ejected from their

Phnom Penh compound by the Royal Government.

The new gains are

particularly welcome to the RCAF seeking to regain its credibility following the

embarrassing flight from Pailin and subsequent helter skelter retreat along

Route 10 to within 20 km of the provincial capital of Battambang in April and

May.

But a Western military analyst cautioned that while the RCAF may

have pushed the guerrillas back along the highway, it has failed to make any

impression on KR ground on the flanks and has in effect created a narrow pocket,

in places perhaps only 20 km wide.

At Phum Toul, Lt Col Nou Kong said

malaria and stomach disorders caused by a lack of fresh water were bigger

enemies than the KR, with a high percentage of frontline troops suffering

illness.

He and other officers appealed to the West to help with

desperately needed medical supplies.

The new advances have been mainly

achieved by infantry thrusts and resupply was being carried out on foot from

Chav village onwards, just 2 km in front of Treng, with the highway yet to be

swept for anti-tank mines.

Gen Soeng Vanna, who heads Division 5 said:

"We are using a different strategy to the attack on Pailin. We are going slowly

and consolidating gains step by step. We have had experience from losing Pailin

last time."

The general, who has lost one arm, added that Phnom Penh had

yet to issue orders to mount a fresh offensive on Pailin. Fighting traditionally

grinds to a halt in the wet season.

The advance was supported by daily

bombing runs made from Battambang by two Mi-8 helicopters, though these were

withdrawn to Phnom Penh on June 21 with the onset of the rainy

season.

Gen Choy said that as little as 200 meters separated the opposing

frontlines and dense undergrowth in between meant that RCAF might not spot

counter attacking guerrrillas until they were only 30 meters

away.

Two-star Gen Math Cheala put RCAF troop strength at 1,000 from

Treng forward and said they are facing up to 550 guerrillas.

At Treng

the government had just two veteran T-54 tanks and a single Russian made 152mm

artillery piece.

Gen Cheala said they were facing 4-5 KR tanks and 122

and 130mm cannon.

During the Post's visit the only military activity

evident was a KR mortar barrage on the frontline being answered by a salvo from

the 152mm gun.

He said his men had adequate supplies of ammunition and

several were seen sporting brand new AK-47s, said to be produced in Singapore,

under licence from China.

Treng itself is undergoing a rebuilding after

it was torched in the KR push towards Battambang. The settlement has been purely

a barracks for several years, while the highway's Western-most concentration of

civilians is at Kilo 38.

However for now most troops are having make do

with makeshift shelters of plastic sheets hung between tree

branches.

Battambang's First Deputy Governor Gen Serei Kosal said that

the entire army was to undergo a rolling program of intensive training at

barracks in an effort to iron out deficiencies laid bare by the retreat from

Pailin

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and