Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Warship museum planned

Warship museum planned

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Salvage offers remove the wreck of a warship from the river in Kampong Cham province’s Srei Santhor district on April 7. ministry of national defence

Warship museum planned

An inter-ministerial working group has been searching in Kandal and Prey Veng provinces for 10ha to 15ha of land to construct a museum for unexploded ordnance (UXO) recovered from a warship sunk in the Mekong River during the Cambodian civil war in the 1970s.

Mey Sophea, commander of the UXO Clearance Unit of the National Centre for Peacekeeping Force and Explosive Remnants of War Clearance, told The Post on June 13 that talks are being held with the governors of Kandal and Prey Veng provinces to locate an appropriate site for the building.

Officials are focusing the search for land in Kandal province’s Lvea Em, Khsach Kandal and Kien Svay districts and Prey Veng province’s Neak Leung.

The museum is aimed at attracting local and international tourists and will also include a green area for research.

“If we only build a museum, it will be too simple and does not have any meaning in the future, so we will prepare a beautiful and green landscape,” he said.

According to Sophea, the inter-ministerial plan is for construction work and landscaping to be completed in about three years.

Funding for the project will be from the state as well as contributions from generous people. For now, a development master plan is being prepared for the museum and once complete, officials will determine the budget required.

According to Sophea, officials are currently collecting UXO from a sunken warship in a river in Kandal province’s Lvea Em district. They will then start salvage work in two other places in Prey Veng province. Munitions were also extracted from another wreck in Kampong Cham province.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • Delta spreading in Kingdom

    Cambodia has so far detected more than 200 cases of the highly contagious coronavirus Delta variant, with 109 found on July 31 and August 1. The Ministry of Health has expressed deep concerns that the variant may have already reached communities and be spreading as some of the cases

  • US' Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccines arrive

    The first batch of 455,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine donated by the US touched down in Phnom Penh on the morning of July 30. They are part of the total 1,060,100 doses the US has pledged to provide to Cambodia through the World Health Organisation-led (

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four