Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Waste collection changes to come in the new year

Waste collection changes to come in the new year

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Cintri workers collect rubbish near Wat Botum Park in Phnom Penh on Tuesday. Hong Menea

Waste collection changes to come in the new year

Come next year, Phnom Penh residents will no longer have waste collection fees included in their electricity bill, thanks to an online payment system.

A directive on changes to the payment system was signed by Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng on Monday.

It said that to modernise public services and ensure everyone paid, waste collection fees could be settled online, at Acleda Bank Plc or through e-payment service providers.

Phnom Penh Municipal Hall also announced that the current waste collection rates would be retained as the basis of fee payments for rubbish and solid waste collection services.

It said waste collection company Cintri would be temporarily allowed to deal with the capital’s rubbish but would no longer be able to collect fees.

“As of January 1, until new rubbish management and solid waste systems are established and put into operation completely, Cintri (Cambodia) Ltd is temporarily allowed to collect and transport rubbish and solid waste. But the company is no longer entitled to collect service fees,” the directive said.

Sreng said while the move would take effect on January 1, customers would see the changes in the first 15 days of February. They will then have to pay their fees online, at Acleda Bank or through e-payment service providers such as e-Money, Ly Hour, Weiluy, Pi Pay, True Money and Dara Pay.

“Customers can also choose to pay their service fees in advance through the payment and deduction system, which will automatically show the outstanding balance every month.

“In the case of failure to pay the fees after 15 days from the end of each month, it will be regarded as debt and be the subject of fines according to the law, as well as other measures when necessary,” Sreng stressed.

The Phnom Penh municipal administration instructed customers who had paid for rubbish collection as part of their electricity bill to pay them based on the service fees levied in October. They would then just have to type in their ID code from the electricity bill.

For those who paid Cintri directly, they must no longer do so. Instead they must make payments to the Phnom Penh Waste Management Authority (PPWMA).

People who had never paid for waste collection would have to use the ID in their electricity bill to pay online or at the bank before January 1. They would have to base their payment on the last bill.

Prime Minister Hun Sen ended Cintri’s waste collection contract in October. The company had been the sole rubbish collector in the capital. Having ended the contract, the prime minister announced the removal of rubbish collection fees from the electricity bill.

He said doing so had caused difficulties for Phnom Penh residents.

Affiliated Network for Social Accountability executive director San Chey said the changes to the system would be a positive move if they made rubbish collection more efficient and easier.

However, he raised concerns that the Phnom Penh municipal administration would announce changes without tackling the problems in the capital’s waste collection system.

“The management of Phnom Penh will grow and progress if the municipal hall can make rubbish collection in the capital more efficient and easier.

“But if changes are made to the system without improving the attitude to waste collection or the managing and transporting of rubbish, no progress will be made,” Chey said.

He also urged the government to pay greater attention to providing waste collection services according to the needs of each household, with some producing more rubbish than others.

He said rubbish collection should be carried out at specific times and be done hygienically.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea

  • Judge lands in court after crashing into alleged thief

    Sen Sok district police on Thursday sent a Koh Kong Provincial Court judge to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on manslaughter charges after he crashed his car into a woman riding a motorbike on Wednesday, killing her. District police chief Hour Meng Vang told The

  • Preah Vihear court drops charges against villagers

    The Preah Vihear Provincial Court has dropped all charges against eight ethnic Kuoy villagers who were in a land dispute with the Hengfu Group Sugar Industry Co Ltd since 2014. Wednesday’s decision was made by the judge who tried the case on June 10. The eight

  • Gov’t to boost Siem Reap tourism

    The Ministry of Tourism released the results of an inter-ministerial committee meeting concerning Siem Reap province’s Tourism Development Master Plan for 2020-2035 on Wednesday, revealing the government’s plan to improve the overall tourist landscape there. The meeting was attended by Minister of Tourism

  • Residents ordered to remove structures on Phnom Penh’s canal

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng has ordered authorities to act against the perpetrators who built houses along the Luo 5 canal in Meanchey district. The municipal administration plans to create a committee to solve the matter. The order was given on Wednesday while Sreng led

  • ‘On the offensive’: Cambodia to load up on loans to stimulate economy

    As the dust settles on the economy, Cambodia comes to grips with what needs to be done to turn the economy around, starting with a big shopping list for credit ‘We are going on the offensive,” Vongsey Vissoth, Ministry of Economy and Finance permanent secretary

  • Eighty replacement peacekeepers set for Mali mission despite Covid

    Eighty Cambodian blue helmet soldiers who completed the peacekeeping mission under the UN umbrella in Mali will return to Cambodia on Friday, said the Centre for Peacekeeping Forces spokeswoman Kosal Malida. “To protect their families and communities from the Covid-19 pandemic, the 80 are required to

  • Government set to make up for cancelled April holiday

    The government is set to make up for a five-day Khmer New Year holiday late this month or early next month. The holiday was earlier cancelled due to the onset of Covid-19. The announcement is expected on Friday as the government is studying a range

  • Families told to register for cash handouts

    The government has called on poor families to apply to commune authorities for evaluation to receive financial support during the Covid-19 crisis. A $300 million budget has been planned for implementation within a year. Ministry of Economy and Finance secretary of state Vongsey Visoth said this