Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Wetlands threatened by coastal land grabs

Wetlands threatened by coastal land grabs

Authorities inspect a construction site in Preah Sihanouk earlier this year after a construction project destroyed hectares of mangrove forest along the province’s coast. Photo supplied
Authorities inspect a construction site in Preah Sihanouk earlier this year after a construction project destroyed hectares of mangrove forest along the province’s coast. Photo supplied

Wetlands threatened by coastal land grabs

The Council of Ministers has urged the Ministry of Land Management to crack down on coastal land grabbing in response to a report that found the practice was destroying the Kingdom’s wetlands.

The Post yesterday obtained a letter signed by Council of Ministers undersecretary Sou Phirin and sent on June 16 in response to a report produced by the Ministry of Agriculture 10 days earlier and signed off by the prime minister on June 13.

The report found that the Kingdom’s coastal mangrove swamps were being filled in and titles were being illicitly issued for the newly formed land in Preah Sihanouk, Kep, Kampot and Kong Kong provinces.

“Our ministry asked for intervention over the anarchic grabbing of mangroves happening in the coastal provinces,” Agriculture Ministry spokesman Lor Raksmey said yesterday.

In the June 16 letter, Phirin “recommended” that Land Management Minister Chea Sophara annul and withdraw land titles issued by the Ministry of Land Management and local officials for former mangrove swamps in the four provinces.

A senior Ministry of Land Management official, who asked for anonymity while the ministry formulates its official response, said they had inspected the listed sites and that land titles would be revoked, but did not specify how many.

Council of Ministers spokesman Phay Siphan did not respond to requests for comment on the matter.

Buon Narith, Preah Sihanouk provincial coordinator for rights group Licadho, yesterday said that in past two years, at least 100 hectares of mangrove had been filled in during land grabs in Prey Nop district and Sihanoukville alone.

Provincial Governor Yon Min said local authorities had already cracked down on many developments in former mangrove areas.

MOST VIEWED

  • Purging Sihanoukville’s past with a new masterplan

    Amid illicit activities, haphazard development and abandoned projects, the coastal city of Sihanouk province needs a reset to move forward. A new masterplan might be the answer to shake off its seemingly mucky image to become the Shenzhen of the south Gun toting, shootouts, police

  • Chinese may be first in tourism revival: PM

    Cambodia's tourism industry is gearing up to roll out the red carpet for Chinese travellers after Prime Minister Hun Sen on September 17 indicated that the Kingdom could soon throw open its doors to international holidaymakers vaccinated against Covid-19 – starting with guests from China. Cambodia Chinese

  • Four-pillar approach in reopening of tourism: PM

    Cambodia is drawing up a four-strategy approach to promptly restore domestic and international tourism activity and put the industry on a transition pathway to a sustainable and inclusive model that is resistant to future crises, according to Prime Minister Hun Sen. The prime minister made

  • Airline says ready for green light to reopen international tourism

    Sky Angkor Airline Co Ltd on September 21 said it is ready to transport South Korean and Chinese tourists to the Kingdom once the Cambodian government makes good on plans to reopen its borders to vaccinated travellers. The Siem Reap-based airline made the remark during a

  • Tourism concerns laid bare

    To ensure the success of plans to reopen the tourism market for international visitors, Cambodia must pay utmost attention to two primary determinants – the ongoing paradigm shift in domestic tourism services towards the ‘new normal’, and the factors influencing choices of destinations among foreign holidaymakers.

  • Cambodian bride ‘badly treated, held captive’ by Chinese man seeks help

    A Cambodian woman who travelled to China to marry a Chinese man there was “badly treated” by her husband’s family and then had to be rescued and will be returned to Cambodia to ensure her safety. The rescue operation came about after the 25-year-old