Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Woman ‘strangled sleeping boyfriend’

Woman ‘strangled sleeping boyfriend’

Woman ‘strangled sleeping boyfriend’

A woman who allegedly strangled her boyfriend to death while he was sleeping was charged with murder yesterday by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court.

The suspect, 30-year-old Sam Sorphea, was arrested by police on Saturday at her home in Toul Sangke commune of the capital’s Russei Keo district.

Police said she used a piece of nylon rope to strangle her 40-year-old boyfriend, Sok Mao, at a guesthouse. Toul Sangke commune police chief Huy Hean said that Sam Sorphea had lived with her husband in Svay Rieng province and that Sok Mao had been her husband’s friend.

Huy Hean said the pair had agreed to run away together to Phnom Penh and marry.

“She decided to kill her boyfriend when he refused to marry her after she had left her husband to run away with him,” the police chief said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Serious flooding across country

    The Kampong Speu provincial Committee for Disaster Management on Wednesday issued an alert after non-stop heavy rain caused widespread flooding. In Koh Kong province, authorities are working with the disaster committee and the Cambodian Red Cross to assist those affected after more than 350 homes were

  • CNRP points to King in call for vote boycott

    Leaders of the former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) have taken a new tack in their call for a boycott of the national elections later this month. They are now claiming that the people should follow the King, who is expected to abide by tradition

  • Actress’s NGO takes heat for promoting the ruling party

    An actress’s NGO which participated in an election campaign event contrary to the Law on Association and Non-Governmental Organisations (Lango) has been slammed. Chorn Chanleakena, a celebrity and the president of the Association of Artists Volunteering to Help Society, allegedly led its members in

  • Troop moves ‘won’t worry people’

    Senior officials at the Ministry of Defence and National Police said on Tuesday that riot training provided to the country’s police forces were aimed at preventing unexpected demonstrations and strikes before and after the July 29 national elections. The troop mobilisation, they said, would not