Subscribe Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Woman dies after being electrocuted by fishing device

Woman dies after being electrocuted by fishing device

Authorities incinerate illegal electric fishing devices in Kampong Chhnang province in 2015. A woman in Preah Vihear was electrocuted to death by electric fishing equipment on Saturday. Photo supplied

Woman dies after being electrocuted by fishing device

A woman was electrocuted to death in Preah Vihear province on Saturday afternoon while using an electric device to fish with her husband, who remains in hospital after having also received a severe shock.

Chum Savin, Yeang commune police chief, said that farmer Samuon Nen, 28, died near Choam Sre village, in Choam Ksan district’s Yeang commune. Her husband Van Hong, 37, remains in Preah Vihear provincial hospital, he said. They have three children between 6 months and 8 years of age.

“Near the site we found an electric fishing device, so we concluded that she died of electric shock,” Savin said.

Despite it being illegal, many fishers use electric devices to shock fish and then collect them on the surface.

He said the victim’s eldest son, Hong Manit, ran to tell the villagers that his parents were suffering from convulsions in the river. When the villagers arrived, the husband was laying face-down on the riverbank. They then found the wife’s body in the river.

Choam Ksan District Police Chief Ruon Yeth said he had visited Hong in hospital, and that he had not regained consciousness yet.