Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Worker sliced in half after falling off Preah Sihanouk construction

Worker sliced in half after falling off Preah Sihanouk construction

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A 45-year-old Chinese national died on Wednesday after he fell from an 11-storey building under construction. Photo supplied

Worker sliced in half after falling off Preah Sihanouk construction

A 45-year-old Chinese national died on Wednesday after he fell from an 11-storey building under construction. His body was cut in two pieces in the gory incident at Village IV, Commune IV, in Sihanoukville.

On Thursday, Commune IV police chief Sam Prak identified the victim as Wang Meiguang from China’s Fujian province.

He said Wang had carried a small container of paint as he climbed up to the 11th floor of the building where Cambodian and Chinese nationals were working.

“When the victim reached the 11th floor, he walked on a board to a lift when he slipped and fell,” Prak said. He said as Wang fell, he hit many iron and wooden poles that threw him onto the zinc fence built around the construction site.

“His body was cut into two parts, with one half falling inside the fence and the other outside of it,” he said.

Sihanoukville town deputy police chief Hem Soy said town and provincial police rushed to the scene after being informed of the incident.

Police were informed that Wang had fallen off the building due to his carelessness and ascertained that it was not a murder case. Upon examination, his body was sent to the provincial hospital pending the hand-over to his family.

“Police experts thoroughly investigated the case and we verified the witnesses’ reports which is how we concluded that Wang’s death was a mishap and not a case of murder,” Soy said.

Prak added that police had also questioned a Cambodian who said most of the workers were unaware of Wang falling until a Chinese national shouted for help. They then went to the ground level and saw his body in two parts.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen: Stop Russia sanctions

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said sanctions against Russia as a result of its military offensive in Ukraine should be stopped as they have produced no tangible results, and predicted that a global food crisis would ensue in 2023 as a consequence. Speaking to an audience at

  • Chinese tourists 2.0 – Coming anytime soon?

    Regional tourism is grappling with the absence of the prolific travellers and big spenders – the Chinese tourists. Cambodia, which has welcomed over two million Chinese tourists before Covid-19, is reeling from the economic loss despite being the first to fully open last November ‘To put

  • PM reflects on shoe throwing: Free speech or act of violence?

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 17 questioned whether a man who threw a shoe at him while he was in the US was exercising freedom of expression or if it was an act of hostility. Hun Sen was referring to an incident last week when

  • Siem Reap’s Angkor Botanical Garden opens

    The Angkor Botanical Garden was officially opened on May 19 with free entry for both local and international visitors for the first six weeks. The garden was established on a nearly 15ha plot of land in Siem Reap. “After the first six weeks, Angkor Botanical Garden

  • Pub Street on the cards for Battambang

    The Battambang Provincial Authority has announced that it is considering establishing a Pub Street in the area around the heritage buildings in Battambang town in a bid to attract more tourists. Battambang provincial governor Sok Lou told The Post that the establishment of a Pub

  • Hun Sen: Don’t react to hostility

    Prime Minister Hun Sen urged tolerance and thanked members of the Cambodian diaspora for not reacting to the hostility on display towards him by others while he was in the US to attend the May 12-13 ASEAN-US Special Summit in Washington, DC. In an audio