Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Worker traffic accidents down in ’16

Worker traffic accidents down in ’16

People inspect a truck at the scene of a fatal traffic accident in Kampong Speu province in January.
People inspect a truck at the scene of a fatal traffic accident in Kampong Speu province in January. Hong Menea

Worker traffic accidents down in ’16

The number of traffic accidents involving workers is down 28 per cent in the first six months of 2016 compared to the same period last year, the Ministry of Labour’s National Social Security Fund (NSSF) reported yesterday.

Accidents for 2016 through June totalled 2,259, with 2,849 deaths and injuries. This compares to 3,122 accidents and 3,427 casualties a year ago.

In addition to decreased accidents, figures across the NSSF’s three categories of casualties showed declines as well, noted NSSF spokesperson Cheav Bunrith. Deaths dropped 40 per cent, from 70 to 42, over the same period, while serious injuries tumbled 20 per cent to 412, and light injuries declined 16 per cent to 2,395.

Moto accidents were the most common, with 1,591 cases and 29 deaths between January and June, followed by 371 car accidents accounting for seven deaths.

Other transit means – including the trucks that account for most high-profile worker crashes – showed 297 cases and six deaths, though the Post itself has reported on at least nine such fatalities during the same period.

Speeding caused nearly half of all incidents, and driving while drunk led to about 12 per cent.

“If the statistics are real, it shows a positive enforcement of the new Traffic Law, and it is a result we should pay attention to,” said Ear Chariya, president of the Road Safety Institute.

“But the number of dead and injuries is still high.”

Chariya recommended continued education and stricter law enforcement in order reduce accidents and casualties further.

MOST VIEWED

  • Reports: Rainsy barred from Jakarta flight

    Sam Rainsy was on Wednesday refused entry to a flight from Malaysia to Indonesia, media reported late on Wednesday. The “acting president” of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party’s announced return to the Kingdom on Independence Day on Saturday failed to occur. Rainsy

  • Government studying EU’s preliminary report on EBA

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation on Wednesday said the government was studying the EU Commission’s preliminary report on the human rights situation in the Kingdom that could lead to a suspension of access to its “Everything But Arms” (EBA) agreement. The

  • Gov’t: Rainsy’s ‘coup plot’ a failure

    The government on Wednesday commended the Kingdom’s security forces for thwarting the attempted “coup plot” by former opposition leader Sam Rainsy through his announced return to Cambodia on November 9. The comments came as Rainsy, the “acting president” of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue

  • Rainsy blocked from boarding flight to Jakarta

    Sam Rainsy was on Wednesday refused entry to a flight from Malaysia to Indonesia, media reported late on Wednesday. The "acting president" of the Cambodia National Rescue Party's announced return to the Kingdom on Independence Day on Saturday failed to occur. Rainsy arrived in Kuala

  • Tour guides question animal release ban in Angkor moat

    The Khmer Angkor Tour Guide Association (Katga) called on the Apsara National Authority to reconsider its decision banning all animals from being released into the moat surrounding the Angkor Wat temple after the authority prohibited the action for the sake of visitors’ safety. An Apsara

  • Kingdom to import 200MW from Lao hydropower plant

    Cambodia plans to import 200MW of electricity from Laos’ Don Sahong hydropower plant early next year to curb power shortages this coming dry season, with the transmission line network scheduled for completion later this year, Ministry of Mines and Energy spokesman Victor Jona said. Jona,