Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Workers ‘win’ after Kandal factory strike

Workers ‘win’ after Kandal factory strike

Workers ‘win’ after Kandal factory strike

Nearly 2,000 workers at a Kandal province garment factory had returned to work on Saturday and 6,000 more planned to return today after nearly three weeks of strikes, company and union representatives said yesterday.

Yung Wah Factory administrative director Ing Minchuan confirmed yesterday that the roughly 2,000 workers at Yung Wah Factory 1, in Takhmao town, had returned to work on Saturday and the 6,000 workers at Yung Wah Factory 2 had pledged to return today.

“They promised me they would return to work on Monday,” he said.

Chea Mony, president of the Free Trade Union, said the workers had begun striking at the end of December.

But Ing Minchuan said only the workers at Factory 1 had been striking since December and that workers at Factory 2 had been on strike “for a couple of days”.

Union representatives had met with their corporate counterparts on Thursday, Chea Mony said, making six demands: that the factory provide at least 15 days’ notice before closing; provision of annual-leave payouts in case of closure; that the factory pay workers through the end of the month if the factory closes in the beginning or middle of the month; and that the factory pay workers five per cent of their monthly salaries on the termination of a worker’s short-term contract.

The workers also sought a severance package that would pay workers salaries equival-ent to how long they had been at the factory, he said.

Although the company refused to meet the demands, it agreed to provide a US$25 bonus to each worker, if workers agreed to return to the factory.

“The strike resulted in workers getting $25 as an annual incentive and an award of $7 for the striking period,” Chea Mony said.

Sok Socheat, a 30-year-old worker at Factory 1, said the workers had been “lucky” that the Free Trade Union had intervened in the dispute.

“Without the union’s help,  three weeks’ worth of striking would have been for nothing,” she said.

MOST VIEWED

  • US to ramp up sanctions after ‘flawed’ national polls

    At a press conference on Wednesday, the US State Department announced that it would expand visa sanctions on the Cambodian officials and individuals it deems responsible for “undermining democracy” in Cambodia. At the briefing, spokesperson Heather Nauert reiterated that the department regarded the July 29 elections

  • Final poll results confirm first single-party Assembly

    IN an unprecedented situation in Cambodian politics, the official results of the July 29 national elections have declared that the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) will take all 125 seats in the National Assembly on the back of it receiving 76 per cent of the votes. The National

  • PM's Bodyguard commander hits back at US

    The commander of Prime Minister Hun Sen’s Bodyguard Unit (BGU) Hing Bun Heang on Sunday dismissed a short video clip that went viral on social media in which he says he is preparing for a war with the United States over its aggressiveness towards

  • Chinese influence to sweep Kingdom?

    Growing Cambodia-China ties have seen the latter’s influence sweep across the Kingdom through increased investments and tourism. The Asian giant has become the leading source of foreign funds in Cambodia, fuelling the construction sector with huge casino and hotel projects. Much of the growth