Twenty-two workers fainted on Monday at Hueraizen, a plastic-bag factory in Kampong Chhnang province, after being scared by a loud noise caused by an electrical malfunction, according to local police.
Math Ly, Kampong Tralach district police chief, yesterday said the workers became frightened at about 11am on Monday when a wire leading to a utility pole in front of the factory exploded, making a noise similar to a thunderclap and startling those inside.
Chaos broke out, with workers running for the door and colliding into each other, which prompted the faintings of the 22 workers, he said.
“After that, they were sent to the district health centre for treatment, and about two hours later they got better and returned to work on Monday afternoon,” he said. Contact information for the company couldn’t be obtained yesterday.
Mass faintings among workers are far from uncommon in Cambodia. Early last month, 49 garment workers fainted at Ly Chiang factory in Kampong Cham’s Batheay district after farmers sprayed pesticides on crops nearby.
Contact PhnomPenh Post for full articlePost Media Co Ltd
The Elements Condominium, Level 7
Hun Sen Boulevard
Phum Tuol Roka III
Sangkat Chak Angre Krom, Khan Meanchey
12353 Phnom Penh
Tel: +855(0) 23 888 161 / 162
Fax: +855(0) 23 214 318