Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Workers get $100 handout in lieu of wages



Workers get $100 handout in lieu of wages

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The workers on March 27 gathered to protest in front of a 12-storey unfinished building on the site after their employer cut off their electricity at their temporary homes and forced them to leave without being paid. Supplied

Workers get $100 handout in lieu of wages

Nearly 100 construction workers accepted a $100 handout from an employer to return to their hometowns after work was suspended at a construction site in Preah Sihanouk province’s commune four.

The workers had been living on the abandoned site, owned by the company, Thay Soer, while waiting for their wages.

On the afternoon of March 27, the workers gathered to protest in front of a 12-storey unfinished building on the site after their employer cut off their electricity at their temporary homes and forced them to leave without being paid.

Noeur Sokorm, a construction worker from Battambang province, told The Post on Monday that she had started working at the site a year ago.

She said the employer recently encouraged all its workers to work overtime and complete their work soon. The employer claimed that when the work is complete, he would pay them their total wages.

But when Covid-19 broke out, she said, the employer announced that all workers should go home without their past due wages of over two months.

“We worked for the contractor and they kept allowing us to work overtime. When the work was complete, we will be paid all wages, they said.

“When we laid tiles day and night, they said that they didn’t have wages, and they suspended the worksite. We must be owed over $2,000 or $3,000,” she said.

Piseth Theara, a construction forewoman in charge of laying bricks and supervising workers, confirmed that after the protest, the company gave each worker $100 to return home.

She said the company claimed it would pay them more on April 30. But she’s concerned that it will pay the workers only, not the contractors, who haven’t reached a deal with the company yet.

“The company gave us $6,000 and we shared it with the workers. It said to take that amount to cope with food first.

“Wait for Monday, we’ll solve your problem further, they said. On Monday, the firm gave another $3,000 and we shared only $100 with workers, now the money is gone,” Theara said.

She said the company had not yet paid all the workers and it owed them more than $30,000. She expects the relevant authorities will intervene to find a solution for them. If the deadline comes and a solution is not found, the workers will renew the protest.

Thay Soer company’s representative could not be reached for comment on Monday.

“[The company] allowed all the workers to leave the construction site in fear of the Covid-19 infections. But it didn’t pay them any money. How will they leave? They have laboured to work at the site. Without the money, the workers refused to leave.

“I take pity on them. The workers have wives and children. When they are forced to go home, they don’t have money. How can they go home without anything to eat?” she asked.

Preah Sihanouk provincial Department of Labour and Vocational Training director Yov Khemara told The Post on Monday that it will continue to monitor the case.

He said the firm had also agreed to offer the workers some compensation and are continuing to solve the case.

“[The company] breached the trust of the contractor. When they don’t know with whom to file a complaint, they come to file the complaint with the department. The department is helping them,” Khemara said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and