Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Workers given a break by Labour Ministry

Workers given a break by Labour Ministry

Workers given a break by Labour Ministry

All workers will be given days off during the Pchum Ben festival later this month so that they can return to their hometowns and villages to register on voting lists or check to ensure their names are on the lists, a letter from Minister of Labour Vong Sauth released last Friday states.

The order demands all enterprises and institutions to give workers two to three days off during the festival that begins on September 26 so that electoral rolls can be checked and workers can enjoy the holiday.

Employers cannot reduce salaries or bonuses of employees for the days off, Vong Sauth said in his letter.

Workers from provinces close to Phnom Penh will be given two days off while those from more distant provinces such as Ratanakkiri, Modulkkiri, Stung Treng, Preah Vihear, Oddar Meanchey, Banteay Meanchey and Battambang will get three days off.

Chea Mony, president of the Free Trade Union, said unions had distributed about 30,000 copies of the letter to factories nationwide.

So far, 57,094 citizens from 1,543 communes had registered during an electoral enrolment process that runs from September 1 to October 15, the National Election Committee has said.

The NEC said in the middle of last month that 8,894,219 Cambodians were registered to vote: about 87 percent of all Cambodians over the age of18.

MOST VIEWED

  • Archeologists find ancient phallic statue

    An archeological team has found a metre-long tipless stone linga (penis) of the Hindu deity Shiva in the foundations of a temple in Kratie province’s historical Samphu Borak area, a former capital of the pre-Angkor Empire Chenla period. Thuy Chanthourn, the deputy director of

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on

  • Police seek arrest of Chinese ‘gang’

    Cambodian police remain on the lookout for 20 Chinese nationals who earlier this month posted a video clip threatening to stoke insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province, though the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh maintained the group posed no threats to Cambodia’s national security. National Police