Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Workers to receive subsidies



Workers to receive subsidies

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Some 12,760 suspended workers from the textile and tourism sectors will get subsidy payments. Hong Menea

Workers to receive subsidies

The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training has announced a seventh-round of subsidy payments for 12,000 suspended workers.

Minister Ith Sam Heng made the announcement at the committee for strike and demonstration resolution (CSDR) meeting on Tuesday. He said the CSDR at cities and provinces must pay attention to solving problems and be more efficient and effective.

Sam Heng said 12,760 suspended workers from the textile and tourism sectors will receive a subsidy payment.

A ministry notification said the subsidy payments are still divided into three categories. If work was suspended from seven to 10 days, workers are eligible for a $15 payment.

Workers suspended from 11 to 20 days are eligible for about $30 and those suspended for 21 days to a month can receive $40.

Ministry spokesman Heng Sour told The Post on Tuesday that subsidy payments have so far reached 169,161 workers. The government has paid suspended workers some 16 billion riel ($3.9 million).

“The government has decided to use the national budget to solve the difficulty of workers in the garment and tourism sectors who are suspended due to Covid-19. Because the suspension of their work was in different periods, subsidy payments are also different,” Sour said.

Sam Heng also used the opportunity to make clear that CSDR is responsible for directing and resolving strikes and demonstrations in any geographical area.

“Particularly, there is a need to grasp the root causes of the problems, the evidence and the face of the opportunists who incite or act illegally.

“Efforts must be made to protect the security and safety of the workers who strike and demonstrate legally. In case there is violence, [CSDR] must take action,” Sam Heng said.

He also stressed the need for ongoing Covid-19 education at workplaces and the consequences of the disease. Sam Heng said government measures are to facilitate the normalisation of business and improve the lives of workers, poor citizens and the vulnerable.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • One million Chinese Covid-19 jabs to start rolling in from February

    The government has confirmed that Covid-19 vaccines from China are set to begin arriving in Cambodia by February. This came as the Ministry of Health recorded two imported cases of Covid-19 on January 18. While calling on people to remain vigilant against the pandemic, ministry spokeswoman