Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Workers at Siem Reap hotel to renew calls for reinstatement

Workers at Siem Reap hotel to renew calls for reinstatement

Protesters push past barriers at the Victoria Angkor Resort & Spa in Siem Reap earlier this month. Photo supplied
Protesters push past barriers at the Victoria Angkor Resort & Spa in Siem Reap earlier this month. Photo supplied

Workers at Siem Reap hotel to renew calls for reinstatement

About 70 workers plan to once again demonstrate today in front of Siem Reap’s Victoria Angkor Resort and Spa after negotiations failed to reach a solution, said Morn Rithy, president of the Cambodian Tourism and Services Federation.

The workers have been protesting for the reinstatement of 17 employees, who they claim were unfairly dismissed in September and October following union elections, and for the firing of the hotel’s manager, who they blame for the dismissals. In January, the hotel fired an additional 60 staff, Rithy said.

“[Today’s] protest is to demand that they reinstate the 60 employees who were fired by the hotel in January after they joined the protest, and to demand [the hotel] to pay their wages since the day they were fired,” he said.

Despite negotiations by provincial authorities, no solution has been reached, Rithy said. The hotel has said it will offer termination compensation, but the protesters want their jobs back.

Kao Soupha, a lawyer representing the hotel, said the hotel will not hire back the staff.

“We really want to solve this problem, but the protesters always reject what we offer. What they want is to get 77 staff back to work, and we really cannot do that,” he said.

The hotel is waiting to hear back from the court on the matter, Soupha said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will

  • Chinese-owned shops are on the rise in central Phnom Penh

    Informal businesses owned by Chinese nationals are on the rise in central Phnom Penh, especially in Tonle Bassac commune, surrounding Koh Pich. Such businesses have sprung up notably in Central Market, Orussey Market, Sovanna Shopping Mall, Rattana Plaza, as well as Kakab commune across from