Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Workshop highlights efforts to improve children’s welfare



Workshop highlights efforts to improve children’s welfare

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Social Affairs Minister Vong Sauth said in the conference aimed at addressing issues surrounding the welfare of children yesterday. Pha Lina

Workshop highlights efforts to improve children’s welfare

A conference aimed at addressing issues surrounding the welfare of children kicked off on Monday in Phnom Penh.

The three-day conference, co-organised by the Ministry of Social Affairs, Veterans and Youth Rehabilitation, United Nations Children’s Fund (Unicef) and the World Health Organisation (WHO) – featured speakers representing various organisations from around the region.

The meeting’s attendees were made up of delegates from 21 Asia-Pacific countries. They discussed implementing key strategies to end violence against children across the health, social welfare, education, finance, and judicial sectors.

Unicef East Asia and Pacific Regional Office director Karin Hulshof said children remained susceptible to violence in their communities and schools – all of which, she thought, supposedly provides protection and a safe place for the “victims” – as well as from the internet.

“One in four children worldwide are abused by their caretakers,” said Hulshof, citing strategic guideline released by WHO in 2016.

A publication entitled Inspire, comprised seven strategies for ending violence against children. Each is underpinned by strong or promising evidence of success in high-income countries, with growing evidence that they also work in low- and middle-income countries.

Inspire mentions that up to one billion children have experienced physical, sexual or psychological violence within a year prior to its release, according to a report estimation.

Hulshof applauds Cambodia for being the first country in the region to conduct a comprehensive national survey to address children’s exposure to violence.

The 2013 countrywide survey revealed that more than half the children in Cambodia are physically abused, which caused the government to create child-safety commitments for various ministries.

Social Affairs Minister Vong Sauth said Cambodia had implemented a national action plan to combat violence against children.

“The Cambodian government has adopted a five-year multi-sectoral and interministerial plan to address violence against children in compliance with international policies and practices,” he said, referring to the long-awaited Action Plan to Prevent and Respond to Violence Against Children which was unveiled last year.

“Cambodia would like to share experiences and good practices in mitigating violence against children. So far, we are leading in the region for having conducted an evidence-based survey to determine the broad scope and impact of this issue,” he said.

However, Sauth acknowledged that the Kingdom is struggling with resources in responding to and preventing children’s exposure to violence.

“Cambodia still faces some problems amid the implementation of the action plan, such as a lack of a systematic mechanism, low human capacity, and limited financial resources to protect the children,” he said.

He said the full realisation of the plan lies not only with the government but also with every citizen who has responsibilities to children.

“Solving discrimination and abuses of children, under any circumstances, won’t be effective without the engagement of all relevant stakeholders."

“I welcome the engagement of international NGOs, civil society, teachers and parents as they are the potential forces to combat violence against children,” he said.

Last month, the Ministry of Social Affairs, Veterans and Youth Rehabilitation released two roadmaps to reform the Kingdom’s child welfare system in collaboration with Unicef.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants