Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - World Bank bars firm behind power project barred by Bank

World Bank bars firm behind power project barred by Bank

World Bank bars firm behind power project barred by Bank

The World Bank announced on Wednesday it had placed a 10-year ban on Montreal-based construction company SNC-Lavalin, preventing the embattled firm seeking contracts after finding evidence of “misconduct” in a Cambodian rural electrification project.

According to statements by the World Bank and SNC, the ban was part of an agreement reached between the two - the details of which are confidential - after evidence surfaced of a “conspiracy to pay bribes and misrepresentat-ions when bidding for World Bank-financed contracts”, one of which was presumably SNC’s 2009 contract to build Electricité du Cambodge’s national control centre and energy management system.

The company was also acc-used of bribery in a Bangladeshi bridge project.

SNC spokeswoman Leslie Quinton said via email the matter stemmed from “all-egations of a bribe supposedly paid on a relatively small project we were awarded in Cambodia in 2010”.

“A condition of the settlement is not to discuss its terms. However, I may tell you the decision to settle is an acknowledgement of our determination .  .  . to set standards for ethics in business conduct and for good governance that are beyond reproach.

“The settlement is based on an agreement not to contest allegations of misconduct [in] the projects mentioned.”

World Bank Cambodia officials were in Washington yesterday and did not respond to requests for comment as of press time.

SNC is embroiled in a scandal relating to allegations of improper payments made in North African countries, including Muammar Gaddafi’s Libya, and has announced several shake-ups in its management in recent weeks.

Officials at Electricité du Cambodge, when reached yesterday, said they were not familiar with the project.

MOST VIEWED

  • Government hits back at threats to pull EBA, suspend UN seat

    The spokesman for the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) has said the government is in no way concerned after the European Parliament gave it three months to reverse what it called the “systematic repression of the political opposition”. Ignoring the ultimatum could mean facing

  • Chinese influx pushing locals, Westerners out of Preah Sihanouk

    Some within the Kingdom’s tourism industry have speculated that the recent influx of Chinese visitors may hinder domestic tourism as the price of accommodations in the coastal city of Sihanoukville continues to rise. Preah Sihanouk province, which has become a hotbed for Chinese investment

  • Sar Kheng: Sokha requested security

    Interior Minister Sar Kheng on Sunday revealed the story behind the transfer of former opposition party leader Kem Sokha from Trapaing Phlong prison in Tbong Khmum province to his house in the capital. Speaking at the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) headquarters in Prey

  • Chinese living in Kingdom more than doubles since ’17

    The number of Chinese nationals living in Cambodia this year has increased to more than 210,000. The figure rose from last year’s 100,000, the newly appointed Secretary of State Sok Phal confirmed yesterday. He said: “Of the 210,000, more than 78,000 are living in Preah Sihanouk [province], but