Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - World Food Programme to stay in Cambodia until 2018

World Food Programme to stay in Cambodia until 2018

World Food Programme to stay in Cambodia until 2018

The World Food Programme is extending its mission in Cambodia to December 2018 with a budget of $46 million, country director Gian Pietro Bordignon announced yesterday.

Bordignon said food insecurity exacerbated by dry conditions remained a problem in the provinces adjoining the Tonle Sap lake, which was where the WFP primarily operated.

“We will harmonise with the government’s development strategy from 2014 to 2018,” said Bordignon.

The program’s main focus in Cambodia is providing food for primary and secondary school students and their families through hot meals, rations and cash assistance to 600,000 beneficiaries per year.

He added that the WFP would also try to improve or rehabilitate drinking water and sanitation infrastructure and continue trying to encourage schools to buy produce directly from local farmers.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Chum Sounry praised the WFP’s cooperation with the government, saying it promoted school retention and helped fight the effects of climate change.

Bordignon said the government had taken over the WFP’s functions in three provinces so far and would continue to do so incrementally.

MOST VIEWED

  • Serious flooding across country

    The Kampong Speu provincial Committee for Disaster Management on Wednesday issued an alert after non-stop heavy rain caused widespread flooding. In Koh Kong province, authorities are working with the disaster committee and the Cambodian Red Cross to assist those affected after more than 350 homes were

  • CNRP points to King in call for vote boycott

    Leaders of the former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) have taken a new tack in their call for a boycott of the national elections later this month. They are now claiming that the people should follow the King, who is expected to abide by tradition

  • Actress’s NGO takes heat for promoting the ruling party

    An actress’s NGO which participated in an election campaign event contrary to the Law on Association and Non-Governmental Organisations (Lango) has been slammed. Chorn Chanleakena, a celebrity and the president of the Association of Artists Volunteering to Help Society, allegedly led its members in

  • Troop moves ‘won’t worry people’

    Senior officials at the Ministry of Defence and National Police said on Tuesday that riot training provided to the country’s police forces were aimed at preventing unexpected demonstrations and strikes before and after the July 29 national elections. The troop mobilisation, they said, would not