A judge in Yangon hearing the case against Australian newspaper executive Ross Dunkley said yesterday he would rule on bail at the next hearing on March 29.
Judge Aung Min said he would hand down a decision on whether Dunkley will be formally charged after hearing arguments from prosecution and defence lawyers at the next hearing.
Dunkley, 53, who was arrested on February 10, is alleged to have assaulted a 29-year-old woman and to have breached immigration regulations.
At the hearing yesterday at the Kamaryut township court in suburban Yangon, a police sergeant from the criminal department at New Yangon General Hospital said he noticed injuries described as minor when he examined the woman on January 19.
The woman, Khine Zar Lin, was taken to the hospital after making the assault allegation earlier that day, he said.
Khine Zar Lin, who had sought unsuccessfully to withdraw the allegation against Dunkley at an earlier hearing, was not present in the court yesterday.
The court also heard from a police inspector about the circumstances surrounding the case.
Dunkley, who is being detained at Yangon’s Insein prison, is a co-founder of the Myanmar Times.