Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Attack on ABS-CBN brings us back to 1972




Attack on ABS-CBN brings us back to 1972

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
‘KEEP US IN YOUR THOUGHTS’ ABS-CBN employees light candles in solidarity as the network’s darkest hour came on Tuesday night. EDWIN BACASMAS/PHILIPPINE DAILY INQUIRER

Attack on ABS-CBN brings us back to 1972

The Philippine House of Representatives’ denial of the ABS-CBN franchise is an attack that brings us back to the brink of dictatorship in 1972, the last time the network was shut down.

The Concerned Artists of the Philippines decries how the House effectively killed the bid for a franchise.

We grieve with the many artists and creatives, media workers, and the thousands of other employees and workers of the network, whose livelihoods and collective welfare are shaken by the shutdown.

May all the artists, media workers, and celebrities remember the names of the congresspeople who shut this network down, and let them know that they have acted in a manner unbefitting of public servants.

We have the power to express and act against those who have thrown away all concern for the people’s welfare. We condemn how the country’s largest broadcast network was killed by those in government, starting with President Rodrigo Duterte himself whose threats triggered the turn of events leading to this development.

We will remember how the 70 members of the Congress committee acted against the interests of the Filipino people, not heeding all the appeals, protests, and facts that supported the renewal of the network’s franchise. The people will hold them responsible for any resulting layoffs, any denial or limitation in information, and any attacks on press freedom and expression resulting from this shutdown.

We salute the 11 representatives who voted no to the denial of the #ABSCBNfranchise. In doing so, they said yes to press freedom, workers’ welfare, and our right to be informed.

This setback heightens the existing state of inequality, hardship, and silence amid the nation’s woes. This is the least that we need at this point of the pandemic, when our Covid-19 infections are breaching the highest records so far for the Philippines and in Southeast Asia, and when the government is stumbling over the inaccuracies and intricacies of its own data.

We continue to support the call to #DefendPressFreedom and #IbalikAngABSCBN, wherever this next stage of the battle is taken. There is the struggle for free expression to be waged. And there is an anti-terrorism law to junk and defy.

PHILIPPINE DAILY INQUIRER/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15