COP SHOOT COP OVER DERISIVE GLARING
A police officer was severely injured after a gunfight with another officer in Kampong Speu’s Samrong Tong district. District police say the victim was swimming in a pond near a road when the accused saw him in the water. The victim objected to the glares from the accused, at which point a heated argument erupted and guns were drawn. Both officers were detained for questioning. Police condemned the shootout, saying officers should act as an example to society.
NOODLE CHEF KILLED IN ARMED ROBBERY
A female cook was stabbed to death at a noodle shop during a robbery in Phnom Penh’s Tuol Kork district on Sunday. Police said four masked burglars entered the shop while the owner and staff members were resting. They then proceeded to tie up the staffers, demanding property and cash. The victim was stabbed as she tried to escape. Police are still on the hunt for the four men, who were unable to steal anything before fleeing the scene.
DRUG PUSHER GETS PUSHED OFF STREET
Preah Vihear provincial police arrested a man on Friday on charges of drug trafficking. Police say the 30-year-old man was carrying a kilogramme of unidentified drugs and was selling it to young boys. Officials had become suspicious of increased activity on a particularly quiet street. The accused was sent to court, and some of his customers were sent to a local NGO for drug-related education.
JEALOUS WIFE SCALDS CHEATING HUSBAND
A 47-year-old man was severely injured after his wife threw boiling water at him in Pursat’s Kandeang district on Sunday. Police said the wife was jealous of her husband’s new girlfriend and threw a boiling pot at him. The children wanted to send the man to hospital but couldn’t because of financial constraints. Neighbours said the woman was crazy, and that despite his finding a new girl, she shouldn’t have injured him, as he is the home’s only source of income.
CONFLICTING CLAIMS OVER B'BANG FIRE
A house was severely damaged in a fire in Battambang city on Sunday. Police said the blaze occurred because the owner was careless in lighting firecrackers while celebrating the Chinese New Year in front of the house, as some of the fireworks made contact with electricity lines while alight. However, the owner of the house says an electrical fault started the fire. Authorities have warned people not to play with firecrackers at Chinese New Year, since they cause many accidents.