Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - CPP warns against use of slogans




CPP warns against use of slogans

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
CPP Spokesman Sok Eysan speaks to the media last year outside the National Assembly in Phnom Penh. Heng Chivoan

CPP warns against use of slogans

A spokesman for the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) warned that legal action would be taken against any opposition figures who continue to use the campaign slogans “change, change” and “Hun Sen step down”.

Spokesman Sok Eysan told local media yesterday that these phrases would not be permitted during the upcoming campaign period, which begins on Saturday, because they affect the reputation and dignity of CPP leaders.

Eysan said the CPP would file a complaint with the National Election Committee (NEC), but may also file a complaint with the judiciary if the NEC does not act. “This will receive a fine and a prison conviction,” he told The Post.

Earlier this week, Defence Minister Tea Banh said protesters using this rhetoric would get their teeth kicked out, and Eysan himself said they could be killed.

Following a series of provocative statements by ruling party officials, CNRP spokesman Yim Sovann said yesterday that he will no longer comment on statements from the CPP.

Hang Puthea, spokesman for the NEC, said his organisation has not yet considered whether these specific phrases violate the established Election Law.

“Each party has the right to create phrases to use and ask the NEC to examine the meaning of its propaganda,” Puthea said.

Political analyst Meas Ny said that the CPP’s attempt to ban the mottos was indicative of the ruling party’s “anxiety”.

Ny compared it to the government’s successful banning of CNRP slogan “Replace commune chiefs who serve the party with commune chiefs who serve the people”.

“Hun Sen himself is in a state of stress because he thinks fewer people will support CPP,” Ny said.

Additional reporting by Andrew Nachemson

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and