Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Late-filed complaints discarded by the NEC



Late-filed complaints discarded by the NEC

NEC officials tally votes during a recount last week in Phnom Penh.
NEC officials tally votes during a recount last week in Phnom Penh. Hong Menea

Late-filed complaints discarded by the NEC

Cambodia’s National Election Committee last week rejected 33 of 61 complaints filed over the conduct of June 4’s commune election, according to a statement.

The statement, released on Saturday, said the committee last week reviewed 49 complaints and ruled that 33 were submitted after the deadline, and therefore invalid.

It did not detail about what action would be taken on the 16 additional complaints reviewed so far.

Of the rejected complaints, 22 were filed by the CNRP, including 19 requests for recounts and three allegations of criminal breaches of the Election Law.

The opposition’s complaints covered communes in Phnom Penh, as well as Pursat, Siem Reap, Takeo, Tbong Khmum, Kompong Speu and Kandal provinces.

The 10 complaints rejected from the ruling Cambodian People’s Party, meanwhile, were all related to recounts, and covered results in Phnom Penh, Banteay Meanchey, Ratanakkiri and Prey Veng.

One rejected complaint was filed by unspecified “people”, the statement read.

In two other separate statements released on Friday, the NEC revealed details about decisions to reject recounts in Phnom Penh’s Svay Pak commune and in Komrou commune, in Banteay Meanchey’s Thma Pouk district.

In the former case, the result will remain in the CNRP’s favour, at 2,811 votes to the CPP’s 2,806. In the latter case in Banteay Meanchey, the CPP will remain the victors, with 1,125 votes to the opposition’s 1,122.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting