Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - First They Killed My Father in the running for Oscar nomination



First They Killed My Father in the running for Oscar nomination

A screenshot from Angelina Jolie and Rithy Panh’s First They Killed My Father, which has been nominated as Cambodia’s entry for the Oscar’s Best Foreign Film category. Photo supplied
A screenshot from Angelina Jolie and Rithy Panh’s First They Killed My Father, which has been nominated as Cambodia’s entry for the Oscar’s Best Foreign Film category. Photo supplied

First They Killed My Father in the running for Oscar nomination

A Cambodian film may have its best chance yet at Oscars recognition, with the country’s submission for Best Foreign Film – Angelina Jolie and Rithy Panh’s First They Killed My Father – accepted for consideration.

The movie, which has been streaming on Netflix since last month with a limited release in theatres in Cambodia and the United States, and on the festival circuit in North America, is an adaptation of Loung Ung’s harrowing story of her family’s experience under the Khmer Rouge.

The film is among 92 currently under consideration in the category. The list will be whittled down to a handful of entries later this year, before the final nominees are decided in January 2018.

Among other requirements, “the submitting country must certify that creative control of the motion picture was largely in the hands of citizens or residents of that country”, according to the Oscars guidelines, and must also be in a language other than English.

Director and co-writer Jolie was granted honorary Cambodian citizenship in 2005, and the film was produced by Cambodian filmmaker Panh. It was also shot entirely in the Kingdom and in Khmer, and employed hundreds of locals.

Were the movie to win, the award would not go to Jolie or Panh but would be awarded to the country as a whole, under Academy rules.

After Cambodia selected the film as its Oscars submission on September 18, Ung issued a statement calling the news “emotional” and said the team was proud to “share this moment with the country”. Jolie added that the selection meant “a great deal” to everybody who participated.

“To work with local artists to bring this story forward has been a moving and humbling experience,” she wrote.

Khmer Rouge survivors react to First They Killed My Father:

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year