Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Capital’s Olympia City sells 90 pct of condos



Capital’s Olympia City sells 90 pct of condos

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Motorists pass one of Olympia City’s newly completed condominium towers. Sreng Meng Srun

Capital’s Olympia City sells 90 pct of condos

THE capital’s Olympia City condominium project has sold around 90 per cent of its units, 50 per cent of which went to local customers, the project’s senior marketing officer said.

Funded by a more than $500 million investment from Overseas Cambodia Investment Corporation (OCIC), Olympia City is situated adjacent to the capital’s Olympic Stadium.

It consists of four luxury residential tower blocks, a 25-storey commercial building and a seven-storey shopping mall. The project, which began in 2012, covers six hectares.

Olympia City senior sales and marketing officer Teng Sreykeo said 90 per cent of the projects total 2,300 condominiums were sold.

Of the units that have been sold, half the tenants have moved in, while construction of the commercial buildings continues.

“The major factor that brought Olympia City many customers is its location in the heart of Phnom Penh and the fact that it is under a big name like OCIC,” said SreyKeo.

She said while 50 per cent of the buyers are Cambodian, most foreign buyers come from Asia.

The full Olympia City complex, including a hub for entertainment establishments, an international school and a plaza, is set to officially launch late this year.

Lucky Realty CEO Dith Channa said the location is the main reason the project has been so successful.

“It’s not surprising as it is in a good location and has been open for a long time,” he said, adding that the construction process has managed to avoid any bottleneck problems unlike many stalled projects in the capital.

Responding to news sources that have claimed the market for condominiums is faltering, Channa said sales had not decreased compared to last year. On the contrary, he said many more projects have been announced.

OCIC project manager Meng Chamroeun said currently, 75 per cent of the whole complex has been completed, and that it would be fully finished in 2021.

A July report from CBRE Cambodia shows that in the first half of 2018, around 2,000 condominiums were completed and put on the market.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting