Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Makro Cambodia officially opens this week



Makro Cambodia officially opens this week

Makro is opening its first location in Pong Peay City, Thmey commune. Moeun nhean
Makro is opening its first location in Pong Peay City, Thmey commune. Moeun Nhean

Makro Cambodia officially opens this week

Each country develops at its own pace, and this pace is often reflected in the amount of foreign investment and subsequent social benefits gained.

Siam Makro has operated large malls in Thailand, and the country is now seeking to expand into Cambodia. Makro Cambodia, the local arm of the international cash-and-carry wholesaler, will be located in Pong Peay City in Phnom Penh’s Thmey commune and plans to open on December 17.

Makro has committed to collaborating with local famers and suppliers to develop high-quality, clean and safe products for its customers.

Ho Vesna, Sen Sok’s deputy district governor, told The Post that the market launch on Sunday will be a big event for the neighbourhood.

“While developing, this market shows potential to develop the country,” he said.

“Besides the large number of Borey constructions, Sen Sok is a potential destination for big brands from abroad.”

Pov Nary, a resident of Sen Sok district, said people need to have a market where they live and was happy about the incoming store.

“I am happy that the foreign markets are expanding into Cambodia, and it will offer job opportunities and allow local residents to buy and sell things,” she said.

CEO of Key Real Estate SornSeap told The Post that other areas of the city were developing quickly because of the construction of large malls and Boreys.

“When there are big markets investing, real estate prices, especially for land and buildings, will increase,” he said.

According to the Ministry of Commerce, Siam Makro has invested $2 million, representing 70 percent of the costs of the project, and Okhna Ly Yong Phat covered the remaining 30%.

“When there are big markets investing there, real estate prices, especially land and buildings, are increasing in suburban areas,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia unveils new quarantine regulations

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Cambodia sets new Covid-19 quarantine rules

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Hun Sen: Cambodia set to fully reopen

    Prime Minister Hun Sen concludes that the October 5-7 Pchum Ben public holiday, during which many people either flocked to their hometowns for family reunion or gathered at tourist attractions across the country, has not caused an outbreak of Covid-19. In a special address to

  • Will Evergrande change the way Chinese developers do business in Cambodia?

    China’s property sector policy has exposed the grim financial condition of real estate developers including those operating in Cambodia, which raises questions over the viability of their projects and business going forward The dark blue netting draping over one of Yuetai Group Co Ltd’

  • Cambodia resumes issuance of tourist visas

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation has announced the resumption of its tourist visa and visa exemption programme after a long hiatus due to the Covid-19 pandemic. In a letter dated October 20 and addressed to foreign embassies and consulates, foreign minister Prak Sokhonn

  • S’ville set to turn into ‘second Shenzhen’

    The Ministry of Economy and Finance has awarded a master plan consultancy contract to top Chinese institute for the development and transformation of Preah Sihanouk province into a “Model Multi-Purpose Special Economic Zone”, Southeast Asia’s next logistics and resort hub and innovation centre. The