Four more refugees say yes to Kingdom: official

Four more refugees say yes to Kingdom: official

A second group of refugees – including three Iranians and a Rohingya – have agreed to settle in Cambodia under a controversial $A40 million resettlement arrangement with Australia, a government official confirmed yesterday.

Interior Ministry spokesman General Khieu Sopheak said a Cambodian delegation would soon travel to the Pacific Island of Nauru to meet the group, whose ethnic make-up is identical to the first four arrivals who touched down in June.

“We have information that four more refugees from Nauru have agreed to resettle in Cambodia,” Sopheak said.

“We will send our expert officials to interview them. The date [for the trip] could be set for the end of this month or early October.”

Sopheak’s comments follow a surprise two-day visit by Australian Immigration Minister Peter Dutton to Phnom Penh this week, during which he held talks with Prime Minister Hun Sen and senior Cambodian immigration officials.

The discussions came after comments made by Sopheak that were interpreted by foreign media outlets as signalling the deal was in jeopardy and also followed the decision by one of the original arrivals, a Rohingya man, to apply to return home to Myanmar after only two months in Cambodia.

Sopheak said the new group’s decision to volunteer had been confirmed prior to meetings with Dutton.

Sopheak – who was unable to confirm the gender of the new group of volunteers – said Cambodian officials wanted to meet the four to ensure they had, in fact, volunteered.

Referring to the group – and the Rohingya man set to return to Myanmar – Sopheak said that the government “respects the will of the refugees” as to whether they wanted to reside in the Kingdom.

“We don’t want to see them committing suicide,” he added jokingly.

In exchange for $28 million in aid and an additional $10.8 million to cover resettlement costs, Cambodia agreed last September to host refugees held in the Australian-run detention camp on Nauru.

However, only four people initially took up the offer.Since then, the Australian government has faced mounting pressure over an arrangement already widely slammed by human rights groups and the UN.

Critics say Canberra is shirking its responsibilities under international law by transferring refugees to a country with a poor human rights record.

Yesterday, a spokesperson for Australia’s Department of Immigration and Border Protection said “a number of refugees in Nauru” had expressed an interest in settling in Cambodia, adding that the Australian Government would make announcements “when appropriate”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ethnic group ‘disappointed’ to be denied French visas to attend court

    Eleven people at the centre of a case involving seven indigenous Bunong villages in Mondulkiri province pursuing legal action in France have expressed disappointment after the French embassy in Phnom Penh denied their visa applications to attend court. A press release said the 11 included a

  • Cambodia nabs 12th place in best retirement destinations

    Cambodia is an expatriate hotspot for those dreaming of living a more luxurious lifestyle at an affordable cost, according to International Living’s Annual Global Retirement Index 2019. For the fourth year in a row, Cambodia took the top spot in the Cost of Living category.

  • EU starts EBA withdrawal

    The EU on Monday announced that it has begun the 18-month process of withdrawing the Kingdom’s access to its preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) agreement over “a deterioration of democracy [and] respect for human rights”. However, the Garment Manufacturers Association of Cambodia (GMAC) said

  • PM: War result of foreign meddling

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said on Sunday that Cambodia’s recent history of conflict was caused by foreign interference. “The wars that happened were caused by provocation, incitement, support, smearing and interference from foreign powers, and the group of ignorant people who pushed Cambodia to