One more ‘volunteer’ on Nauru

One more ‘volunteer’ on Nauru

An Iranian asylum seeker has become the second person to accept a controversial Cambodia resettlement package, a refugee advocate said yesterday, adding that Australia was attempting to lure asylum seekers into the deal by insinuating they would officially become refugees.

Australia’s Refugee Action Coalition Ian Rintoul, alleged Australian officials, in their desperation to find candidates, were approaching asylum seekers on the Pacific Island of Nauru, with the implication being that their claims would be decided favourably if they agreed.

He said one asylum seeker, an Iranian who had been on the Pacific island for 20 months, had accepted the package to resettle, which has been heavily criticised by human rights groups.

“[The Iranian] is an asylum seeker and he’s been told he can go to Cambodia now the [Immigration Minister Peter Dutton] has also said that the people who go to Cambodia will be refugees; there’s a very strong implication by accepting the agreement, you will be a refugee.”

Ali, a man identifying himself as a Pakistani refugee on Nauru, also said Australian officials were approaching asylum seekers, although he was aware of the Iranian man’s case. “They [pressured] them that’s [sic] a good deal,” he said, via message.

A spokeswoman for the Immigration Minister denied the claim. “Only those found to be genuine refugees will be offered the deal,” she said.

According to Cambodian Interior Ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak, a Myanmar Rohingya refugee has already accepted the deal, part of $31 million agreement struck between Australia and the Kingdom. However, it’s unclear if flights to Cambodia have been scheduled.

According to Ali, about 300 people, including refugees, protested on Nauru yesterday chanting “Cambodia never ever”, and “Want justice, want freedom, no more Nauru.”

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh