The parents of fugitive tycoon Thong Sarath were released on bail over the weekend after complaining of ill health, a court official said.
The release of Thong Chamroeun and his wife, Keo Sary, on Saturday morning came after the Court of Appeal rejected a bail request from the couple on January 20.
They were arrested in early December during a manhunt aimed at capturing their son Thong Sarath, owner of the Borey 999 development project, who has since been charged with masterminding the murder of Shimmex Group owner Ung Meng Cheu on November 22.
Judge Ly Sokleng could not be reached, but court prosecutor Va Sakada confirmed that bail had been granted to Chamroeun and Sary.
Ny Chakrya, senior investigator for local rights group Adhoc, claimed that the release of Sarath’s parents on bail was illegal.
“The lawyer can file [for bail] again [following the Appeal Court decision] after one month, but it has not been a month yet,” he said, adding that political prisoners suffering ill health had not been granted appeal requests.