Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Road safety: Accidents ‘down over New Year’

Road safety: Accidents ‘down over New Year’

Road safety: Accidents ‘down over New Year’

The number of traffic accidents over Lunar New Year has decreased since last year due to more widespread knowledge of the upcoming traffic law, government officials and road safety experts say.

According to statistics released by the Ministry of Interior, 29 people died and another 151 people were injured around Cambodia due to traffic accidents over the four-day celebration of Lunar New Year from Wednesday to Saturday.

Last year, 33 people died while 197 others were injured – 116 of them with serious injuries.

“The traffic accidents happened due to speeding drivers, drunk drivers, a lack of respect for traffic signs and overtaking vehicles,” said the Interior Ministry’s Public Order Department deputy Sok Nob. “But this year, we saw some significant decreases.”

During the festivities in 2014, a total of 98 traffic accidents occurred. Figures this year show a 21 per cent decline as the country experienced 77 traffic accidents.

One reason for this decline, road safety expert and former Global Road Safety Management country manager Kong Sovann said, is more awareness about preventative measures mentioned in the impending traffic law.

Under the law, which Sovann said might be implemented in July at the earliest, drunk drivers will face stiffer fines and moto passengers will have to wear helmets.

“I think people are paying more attention now and are more concerned of the consequences of not driving responsibly,” Sovann said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hundreds of children in hospital with dengue

    A serious dengue fever epidemic is affecting Cambodia, with nearly 600 children hospitalised in the five Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals on Monday alone, a statement posted on the Kantha Bopha Foundation’s official Facebook page said on Wednesday. Because Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals provide

  • Gov’t to probe Chinese exports to US via Sihanoukville

    The government is investigating allegations that Chinese companies are using Chinese-owned special economic zones in Cambodia to export goods to the US and avoid tariffs, said Ministry of Commerce spokesman Seang Thay. The move comes after US embassy spokesman Arend Zwartjes said the US had

  • Sihanoukville building collapse death toll rises to 19

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said on Sunday that the government will act against those responsible for the collapse of a seven-storey building in Sihanoukville on Saturday, which resulted in 19 dead and 24 injured as of Sunday evening. Sar Kheng said three Chinese nationals and one

  • Banh: The Khmer Rouge worse than sanctions and pressure

    Minister of National Defence Tea Banh said on Thursday that having sanctions and external pressure placed on Cambodia was not worse than life under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime. Tea Banh, who is also deputy prime minister, was speaking to military and ruling party officials