Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Full marathon debuts next year

Full marathon debuts next year

Full marathon debuts next year

1 marathon

Siem Reap, renowned for its annual Angkor Wat International Half Marathon race run in December, will now be host to a full marathon to be held in the low season to attract more visitors to town.

The inaugural 42 kilometre full marathon will be held next year, on August 17, 2014, according to the event manager Muy Lath, and will be called the ‘Angkor Empire Full Marathon.’

Content image - Phnom Penh Post

He added that, like the half marathon, disabled people can also compete.

Muy Lath said the website for the first Angkor Empire Full Marathon is now under construction, and will be finished next month. But organisers have wasted no time in gearing up for the marathon – officials were in Siem Reap last week busily signing up sponsors, and some details were released about the route which will take runners into the heart of town. And, like the half marathon, the majority of the route will be through the Angkor Archeological Park, a World Heritage site.

So as of next year Siem Reap will become an international runner’s paradise, with two major races: the full marathon in August and the half marathon in December.

Last year the registered number of runners for the 17th Angkor Wat International Half Marathon was 6,241, and this year Muy Lath hopes the number will top 7,000 participants.

But it is too early to predict the number of runners who will compete in the full marathon.

The half marathon is an internationally recognised charity to raise funds for the relief of victims of antipersonnel mines in Cambodia. It has been held annually to give courage and hope to victims of land mines, and as part of an ongoing campaign for a ban on the inhumane use of antipersonnel mines.

MOST VIEWED

  • First case of coronavirus reported in the Kingdom

    Cambodia reported its first case of the deadly 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) on Monday, Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng announced. He said medical specialists detected the virus in a Chinese tourist in Sihanoukville. The minister said Jia Jianhua, 60, travelled from Wuhan city, where the outbreak

  • PM urges precaution amid virus outbreak

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday called on all Cambodians to bump up precautions to avoid contracting the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) that has already killed more than 50 people in China. The prime minister told the public to remain calm but alert about the possibility of

  • Gov’t slams NGO over 2019 corruption report

    The government on Thursday slammed a report that described the Kingdom as highly corrupt. Government spokesperson Phay Siphan dismissed the latest Transparency International (TI) report as “just an advertisement of NGOs to promote their own interests”. Released on Thursday, the report puts Cambodia near the

  • NBC’s digital payments to go live in next few months

    The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) will launch a Blockchain-based, peer-to-peer payment and money transfer platform in the next few months, its director-general Chea Serey told The Post on Monday. Dubbed ‘Project Bakong’, the scheme already has the support of 11 banks, with many more expected

  • Learning Jungle’s Ly Virak speaks on education sector

    The Canada-franchised Learning Jungle International School has recently expanded into secondary education under the name Westview Cambodian International School. The Phnom Penh Post’s May Kunmakara spoke with its founder, Ly Virak, to discuss his business as well as the development of the education sector

  • Gov’t answers garment buyers’ complaint

    Some of the biggest buyers in the Kingdom’s garment sector have urged Prime Minister Hun Sen to address issues faced by unions and workers – a request a senior official said was out of touch with the situation on the ground. The letter addressed to