Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Road widening works to start next month

Road widening works to start next month

Road widening works to start next month

The Siem Reap Provincial Authority’s plans to widen National Road 6A to a dual carriageway to improve traffic flow will begin in October, according to Bun Tharith, Deputy Governor and spokesman for Provincial Hall.

“To avoid any traffic jams, we have to make the road bigger than before,” he said. The provincial authority’s first step will be to widen the national highway in front of Psar Leu, and the second step will start from the Royal Residence Bridge bridge to the Chong Kasou bus station. “We will start our work in October, after the raining season, and maybe spend one year to finish it,” Bun Tharith said.

The Siem Reap Provincial Authority has several plans for road widening, and in April next year work will start on construction of a new bridge next to the existing Royal Residence Bridge, and to widen the road from the bridge to the crossroads next to Sokha Angkor Resort. In April this year, Siem Reap residents were angry when a local newspaper reported that the Siem Reap Director of Public Works and Transport Department, Kim Bunna said some big trees along both sides of the road would be cut down to facilitate road widening.

But Governor Khim Bun Song quickly responded and vowed to save the splendid avenue of trees. He said it was not necessary to cut down the trees as authorities now have a role to protect and conserve trees. Meanwhile, the beautification of the downtown district is now well underway, with parking provision being a priority in the Old Market and Pub Street areas. Also tourist walks have been created along Sivutha Boulevard – this involved the hacking down of many ‘illegal’ signs for commercial properties. Many business owners said they were stunned to discover their footpath-cluttering signs had been removed without notice, but the authorities said most businesses were in fact given a week’s notice which they chose to ignore.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry issues warning over coronavirus outbreak

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday asked the public to be on “high alert” as a new virus wreaks havoc across Asia. However, no cases have been reported in the Kingdom thus far. The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has raised the alarm for its similarity to

  • Call for boycott of Angkor unacceptable

    Dear Editor, I wish to express my strong disagreement on the article published by Traveller for their website with the title Best places to go in 2020: 12 destinations you should avoid. Below is my opinion of the article. It is obviously free for the Traveller to

  • No power shortages next dry season, says energy minister

    Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem has assured the public that Cambodia will not suffer power shortages during the next dry season. Speaking on local TV on Tuesday, Sem projected a rise in power demand during 2020’s dry season – which starts in November and

  • Gov’t slams NGO over 2019 corruption report

    The government on Thursday slammed a report that described the Kingdom as highly corrupt. Government spokesperson Phay Siphan dismissed the latest Transparency International (TI) report as “just an advertisement of NGOs to promote their own interests”. Released on Thursday, the report puts Cambodia near the

  • Gov’t takes steps to lower logistics, transport costs

    With the threat of losing trade privileges in the EU drawing closer, the government is taking measures to reduce logistics and transportation costs to safeguard the Kingdom’s competitiveness. The EU is due to decide whether or not to withdraw the Kingdom’s trade privileges

  • App to connect farmers to millions

    The Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries has soft-launched a mobile app that connects farmers with potential buyers and gives them access to critical market information. The ministry’s Agriculture Marketing Office chief Meach Yady said the ‘CamAgriMarket’ app gives farmers a platform to showcase