Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Singapore firm pulls out of planned land deal at Boeung Kak




Singapore firm pulls out of planned land deal at Boeung Kak

Buildings are demolished by excavators during forced evictions at the Boeung Kak lake.
Buildings are demolished by excavators during forced evictions at the Boeung Kak lake. Touch Yin Vannithy

Singapore firm pulls out of planned land deal at Boeung Kak

Developer HLH walks away from $14.9 million deal for 1.3 hectares at controversial site. It’s not a setback, Shukaku says

Singapore-listed developer HLH, which had entered into an agreement to purchase 1.3 hectares of land at Boeung Kak lake has withdrawn from the deal, according a company statement.

A deal worth $14.9 million was struck between HLH and Cambodian developer Shukaku on June 19 for the purchase of the land at the controversial Boeung Kak lake site, with the intention to develop the area into business and shopping hub. But a December 17 statement from HLH posted on the Singapore stock exchange says the deal is now off.

“The Board wishes to announce that the seller and the buyer have mutually agreed and entered into a termination agreement on 16 December 2014 to terminate the SPA (Sales and Purchase Agreement) due to commercial reasons, strictly without any liability or breach of either party,” the announcement reads, without going into further detail.

In lieu of the original deposit, the amount of $1.46 million has been returned to HLH, the statement says.

HLH did not respond to a request for comment yesterday, but the firm’s executive deputy chairman and chief executive Johnny Ong Bee Huat had previously said that the company needed to complete a due diligence process before the deal could be finalised.

Shukaku, chaired by ruling Cambodian People’s Party Senator Lao Meng Khin, was awarded a 99-year lease of more than 100 hectares in the area in 2007, and soon after began filling in Boeung Kak lake with sand.

The lake has been the site of years-long protests, with some 20,000 people forced from their homes.

Last month, seven women were sentenced to one year in jail after they blocked the road outside City Hall in protest against the regular flooding of their homes, which are located close to the development site.

In August, protestors demonstrated at the Singaporean Embassy in protest of the HLH land purchase they say was in conflict with the government’s agreement with Shukaku to develop the land.

Boeung Kak representative Chan Puthisak yesterday congratulated HLH on their decision to pull out of the land purchase, suggesting the community’s activism played a role.

“The company [HLH] may not know that Shukaku cannot sell the land before they entered into the purchase agreement, but after the demonstration, they now know and they terminate it,” he said.

“It shows they are responsible, transparent and a company compliant with international standards,” Puthisak said.

Prime Minister Hun Sen agreed in 2011 to carve out 12.44 hectares of Shukaku’s concession for evictees, yet dozens of families are still awaiting land titles from City Hall.

“We are not banning any development on the site, we just ask for transparency from the development. Any deal [between Shukaku] should be temporarily paused until [there is] settlement for Boeung Kak residents,” Puthisak added.

The withdrawal of HLH comes just weeks after Shukaku announced that the company is ramping up development at Boeung Kak lake, with plans for their Phnom Penh City Centre project – an “eco-city” set to include hotels, housing, a business centre and more.

“There are no financial issues, and the main projects are well under way and on schedule,” Amu Pillay, the company’s head of corporate communications and public relations told the Post on December 2.

“The construction of drainage work will start in [December] 2014. The entire drainage works is expected to complete by 2017.”

Pillay acknowledged at the time that the firm could have also better managed the relocation process, but the firm was now focused on the benefits the project would bring - including jobs and park space for the community.

Contacted yesterday, Pillay did not elaborate further on the reasons for the HLH withdrawal apart from saying: “The termination of this agreement will not pose a setback to the development of the project.”

An earlier version of this story identified the $1.46 million returned to HLH as the deposit amount. However, in the company statement announcing the deal's termination, the $1.46 million is said to be "in lieu of" the original deposit.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • Angkor provides ‘valuable’ water storage

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has stored millions of cubic metres of water at reservoirs in the Angkor area after Cambodia experienced a series of rainstorms over the last few days. The storing of the water, besides serving temple conservation, will also be used to

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital

  • Banteay Meanchey floods kill one more as death toll reaches 15

    As floodwaters start to recede in Pursat, Battambang and Pailin provinces and Phnom Penh, Banteay Meanchey continues to bear the brunt as one more person was killed on Monday, bringing the total number of flood-related deaths to 15 in the province this month. Banteay Meanchey provincial

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from