Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Albion boss Allardyce to leave at end of season



Albion boss Allardyce to leave at end of season

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
West Bromwich Albion’s English head coach Sam Allardyce reacts during the English Premier League football match against West Ham United on May 19. AFP

Albion boss Allardyce to leave at end of season

Sam Allardyce will leave relegated West Bromwich Albion when their ill-fated Premier League campaign ends on May 23.

Albion boss Allardyce confirmed his departure immediately after the 3-1 home defeat against West Ham on May 19.

The 66-year-old held talks over his future with Albion hierarchy following their relegation earlier in May.

Allardyce said an offer was made for him to stay for the Championship next season, but he will leave after the final match at Leeds on May 23.

The former England coach replaced the sacked Slaven Bilic in December but had a break clause in his contract which could be activated if Albion slipped into the second tier.

It was the first time Allardyce had been relegated from the top-flight in his managerial career.

“West Bromwich Albion made me a generous offer to stay at The Hawthorns that shows the commitment of an ambitious club. After serious consideration I have decided not to accept that offer,” Allardyce said.

“If I were to stay and achieve promotion next season the expectation would be for me to continue for at least another season and, sadly, that is not a commitment I feel able to make at this stage of my career.

“I believe the club now needs stability and continuity and this would, in my opinion, best be provided by a young and ambitious manager who can get us back to where we should be as an established Premier League football club.”

Albion are second bottom of the Premier League and have won five games all season.

West Brom sporting and technical director Luke Dowling said: “Sam came in at a really difficult time for the football club and worked tirelessly to keep the club in the Premier League.

“Ultimately, we were unable to accumulate the points total required to keep us here, but Sam certainly restored pride with a number of resilient displays.

“Sam, Ken [Chief Executive, Xu Ke] and I have discussed at length our plans for the future and we very much hoped to have Sam in charge for next season and beyond.

“Sam has given his reasons for leaving and we respect his decision.”

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four

  • US' Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccines arrive

    The first batch of 455,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine donated by the US touched down in Phnom Penh on the morning of July 30. They are part of the total 1,060,100 doses the US has pledged to provide to Cambodia through the World Health Organisation-led (

  • Governor: Covid subsides in capital

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng said the Covid-19 situation in the capital’s 14 districts has eased, with only two districts still recording a high number of infections. “Transmission cases in all districts are dropping, though they are relatively higher Meanchey and Por Sen Chey.