Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Alvarez banned for six months over failed drug test



Alvarez banned for six months over failed drug test

Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez poses on the scales during a weigh-in with Gennady Golovkin at the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada on September 15, 2017. AFP
Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez poses on the scales during a weigh-in with Gennady Golovkin at the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada on September 15, 2017. AFP

Alvarez banned for six months over failed drug test

Mexican middleweight Saul “Canelo” Alvarez was handed a six-month ban by the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Wednesday over the failed drug test which forced his rematch with Gennady Golovkin to be cancelled.

At a hearing in Las Vegas, the commission unanimously approved a deal that will see Alvarez suspended for six months from the date of his failed test on February 17.

The ruling means Alvarez, who did not attend the hearing, will be free to fight again in August – raising the possibility of a rescheduled Golovkin fight in September.

Alvarez tested positive for Clenbuterol twice, on February 17 and February 20, during voluntary out-of-competition tests as he prepared for his May 5 rematch with Golovkin.

He later blamed the tests on eating contaminated meat in his native Mexico, where several athletes across different sports have encountered similar problems in recent years.

The 27-year-old risked a one-year ban over the failed test, but Nevada authorities said he had been given a six-month suspension citing his cooperation with authorities.

In a statement, Alvarez’s promoters, Golden Boy Promotions said they accepted the sanction – and indicated they aimed to reschedule the Golovkin rematch for September.

“Canelo looks forward to returning to the ring in September for Mexican Independence Day weekend to represent Mexico and boxing in what will be the sport’s biggest event of the year,” Golden Boy said.

“He is ready to continue his remarkable record of fighting at the highest level.”

‘Forget Mexican meat’

Any rematch between Alvarez and Golovkin will be tinged with animosity. The two fighters have traded verbal blows in the months since Alvarez’s positive drug test came to light.

At a news conference in Los Angeles earlier this month, Alvarez insisted he was the victim of an innocent mistake, hitting back at claims from Golovkin that he was dope cheat.

“I am truly shocked about what has happened, and for those who have doubts and suspicions about my integrity, I have always been and always will be a clean fighter,” Alvarez said. “I respect this sport. I will always be a clean fighter.”

Alvarez and Golovkin fought to a controversial draw in their first meeting in Las Vegas last September, a fight most neutrals believed unified champion Golovkin had won.

Their rematch at the T-Mobile Arena next month was expected to be one of the biggest fights of 2018 but was thrown into uncertainty after news of Alvarez’s drug test emerged.

Golovkin has dismissed Alvarez’s claims that he ingested the Clenbuterol inadvertently, telling reporters last month at his training camp in Big Bear, east of Los Angeles, that he believed the Mexican was guilty of doping.

“Forget Mexican meat,” Golovkin said. “Come on . . . Canelo’s cheating. They’re using these drugs and everybody’s trying to pretend it’s not happening.”

The unbeaten 35-year-old will now fight American Vanes Martirosyan on May 5 in an open-air bout at Los Angeles’ StubHub Center.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Education’ a priority traffic-law penalty

    A top National Police official on June 21 neither rejected nor confirmed the authenticity of a leaked audio message, which has gone viral on social media, on a waiver of fines for a number of road traffic-related offences. General Him Yan, deputy National Police chief in

  • Siem Reap’s $18M zoo said to educate public, help wildlife

    Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium Co Ltd has invested $18 million in a zoo in Siem Reap province, which will be opened in October to educate and promote animal conservation as well as attract national and international tourists. Currently, the Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium is building the

  • Volunteer scheme to foster ‘virtuous’ humanitarian spirit

    A senior education official said volunteer work contributes to solidarity and promotes a virtuous humanitarian spirit among the youth and communities. Serei Chumneas, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, made the comment during the opening of a training programme called “

  • Chinese firms unveil preliminary results on metro, monorail for capital

    Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol and representatives from China Road and Bridge Corp (CRBC) and its parent company, the state-owned China Communications Construction Co Ltd (CCCC), met on June 24 for talks on results of the firms’ preliminary study on a potential metro

  • Nestle’s debut may spur dairy market

    Leading confectionery manufacturer Nestle plans to invest in Cambodia by setting up an operation in the near future, a move majorly hailed by local dairy farmers as a means of boosting the fresh milk market in the Kingdom. During a visit by a delegation led

  • ACLEDA, WU to enable global money transfers

    Cambodia's largest commercial bank by total assets ACLEDA Bank Plc and global money transfer firm Western Union (WU) have partnered to offer customers cross-border money transfers to 200 countries via “ACLEDA mobile” app. In Channy, president and group managing director of ACLEDA, said the June 22 agreement