Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Alvarez cancels Golovkin rematch over drugs controversy

Alvarez cancels Golovkin rematch over drugs controversy

Boxers Saul Alvarez (left) and Gennady Golovkin pose at a news conference in Los Angeles on February 27 to announce a rematch. AFP
Boxers Saul Alvarez (left) and Gennady Golovkin pose at a news conference in Los Angeles on February 27 to announce a rematch. AFP

Alvarez cancels Golovkin rematch over drugs controversy

Saul “Canelo” Alvarez on Tuesday withdrew from his rematch against middleweight rival Gennady Golovkin over his failed drugs test but is optimistic the fight can be rescheduled later this year.

At a press conference in Los Angeles, Alvarez’s promoters Golden Boy said the likely suspension for the failed tests made it impossible to stage the May 5 bout in Las Vegas.

“We’re going to have to cancel the May 5 rematch,” Golden Boy Promotions president Eric Gomez said. “We’ve been advised that given the regulations in Nevada it’s unlikely that Canelo will be cleared to fight in May.

“We’re hoping that Canelo will be cleared to fight in the summer, allowing us to reschedule the fight in August or September.”

Mexican star Alvarez, who was already under suspension from the Nevada State Athletic Commission, insisted he was a “clean fighter”.

“I am truly shocked about what has happened, and for those who have doubts and suspicions about my integrity, I have always been and always will be a clean fighter,” Alvarez said through an interpreter.

“I want to apologise to . . . everyone who is involved in the promotion of this event and especially to the fans. I respect this sport. I will always be a clean fighter.”

Tainted meat?

Alvarez and Golovkin fought to a controversial draw in their first meeting in Las Vegas last September, a fight most neutrals believed unified champion Golovkin had won.

Their rematch at the T-Mobile Arena next month was expected to be one of the biggest fights of 2018 but was thrown into uncertainty after it emerged Alvarez had tested positive for Clenbuterol on February 17 and 20.

Alvarez and Golden Boy had steadfastly denied any wrongdoing, saying the drug had entered the fighter’s system inadvertently through contaminated meat in his native Mexico.

The fight was initially expected to go ahead but was placed in jeopardy when the Nevada commission temporarily suspended Alvarez on March 23 and set a hearing date for April 10.

Nevada commission executive director Bob Bennett subsequently filed a formal complaint against Alvarez requesting that authorities consider a formal suspension against the Mexican fighter at a regularly scheduled meeting on April 18.

The T-Mobile Arena had already started offering refunds for tickets to the fight, venue owner MGM Resorts International said.

‘Less drama, more fighting’

Golovkin – who accused Alvarez of deliberately taking performance-enhancing drugs but was nevertheless ready to fight – said in a statement that he planned to press ahead with a bout on May 5 against an as-yet unknown opponent.

“I am looking forward to returning to Las Vegas for my 20th title defense and headlining my first Cinco De Mayo event on May 5,” Golovkin said in emailed comments.

“It is time for less drama and more fighting.”

Alvarez could in theory face up to a year’s suspension for his failed drugs test.

However, given it is a first offence, and provided he cooperates with Nevada investigators, he could see that sentence reduced to six months.

With drug sanctions in boxing backdated to the date of the failed test, a six-month ban would mean he would be free to reschedule his meeting with Golovkin on the Mexican Independence Day holiday weekend in early September – a popular slot for fights in Las Vegas.

Alvarez said he was ready to submit to extra drug-testing to prove he was clean.

“I am sad and I feel powerless that I can’t make this fight happen at this point,” he said.

“I’m willing to do whatever they request to prove that I’m a clean fighter. I have nothing to hide, I want to be transparent and open in this process.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Crumbling prices, rent ruffle condo segment

    The prolonged decline in international arrivals to Cambodia intensified by renewed Covid-19 fears has driven down condominium sales prices and rental rates in Phnom Penh, a research report said. CBRE Cambodia, the local affiliate of US commercial real estate services and investment firm CBRE Group

  • Over $3M in traffic fines collected in two months

    Traffic police officers collected over $3 million in fines throughout the Kingdom during the past two months when officers strictly enforced the law in accordance with a May sub-decree, officials said. As incentives, law enforcement officers received between 200,000 and two million riel ($50 to $500) each. The figures

  • More than 10,000 workers suspended

    More than 10,000 workers at 18 factories in Svay Rieng province have been suspended because of Covid-19, said provincial deputy governor Ros Pharith. Home to 11 special economic zones, Pharith said Svay Rieng has not been spared as the pandemic takes a toll on the global economy. “There

  • Nod given for school exams

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport announced that State-run higher educational institutions can hold examinations to end the academic year, while private schools can organise grade 9 and grade 12 examinations at their premises for two days. However, private institutions have to take measures to prevent

  • Oz lauds Kingdom’s passage of money laundering laws

    In a press release published by the Australian embassy in Phnom Penh on Monday, the country applauded Cambodia’s stance on transnational crimes as well as its promulgation of an anti-money laundering law and a law on combating proliferation financing. The praise came after King

  • Lotus face masks designed to cover globe

    A French designer in Cambodia has produced ecological face masks from lotus fibre to supply local and international markets with an eye on preserving ancestral techniques and supporting Cambodian women in rural communities. During a trip to Asia, Awen Delaval, an eco-friendly fashion designer, was

  • Accused not treated equally, says CCHR

    The Cambodia Centre for Human Rights (CCHR) has urged the Court of Appeal to do more to ensure that an accused’s right to a fair trial is fully respected. In a bulletin released on Monday, the CCHR said it had monitored 273 cases at the

  • Fish, frogs to boost local food supply

    The government has disbursed more than $4.5 million to boost aquaculture production and domestic market supply amid the Covid-19 pandemic. Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Veng Sakhon told The Post on Monday that in boosting agricultural production, the ministry has received financing from development partners

  • Planning ministry hands out cash to 420,000 poor families in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Planning has identified 20,000 more poor families in the country, bringing the total to over 580,000, while over 420,000 of them have received the government’s cash assistance. In the meantime, many social security cards from families not deemed to be poor have been revoked.

  • Nature in focus at inaugural film and photo festival

    The first Cambodian Wildlife Photo and Film Festival – an event celebrating the conservation of nature through the eyes of wildlife photographers, nature enthusiasts and conservation experts – is scheduled for July 18-26 at Fauna in Focus’ Nature Discovery Centre in Siem Reap. The festival will be