Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Alvarez ready for rematch after Golovkin dethroned




Alvarez ready for rematch after Golovkin dethroned

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Canelo Alvarez (right) lands a right on Gennady Golovkin in the fifth round of their middleweight title fight at the T-Mobile Arena on Saturday in Las Vegas, Nevada. AFP

Alvarez ready for rematch after Golovkin dethroned

Saul “Canelo” Alvarez is eyeing a trilogy with Gennady Golovkin after ending the middleweight champion’s unbeaten reign on Saturday.

Mexican star Alvarez produced a performance of guts and resilience to inflict the first defeat of Golovkin’s career with a majority decision at the T-Mobile Arena.

The win wiped away months of simmering acrimony which stemmed from Alvarez’s failed drugs test in February, forcing the cancellation of a rematch scheduled in May.

Alvarez, who fought a controversial draw with Golovkin a year ago, said he would be ready for a third installment, possibly later this year.

“If the people want another round, I’ll do it again,” said Alvarez, who improves to 50-1-2.

Victory was sweet for Alvarez, who had been accused of “running” during last year’s first encounter by Golovkin’s camp.

Alvarez showed skill and durability to outlast Golovkin in another attritional contest between the two evenly-matched rivals at the T-Mobile Arena, one year after they had fought to a controversial draw at the same venue.

Alvarez inflicted the first defeat of Kazakh slugger Golovkin’s career after two judges scored it 115-113 in his favour, with another judge scoring it even at 114-114.

“I am a great fighter, and I showed it tonight,” said Alvarez, roared on by a partisan crowd throughout on the eve of Mexico’s Independence Day celebrations. “If the people want another round, I’ll do it again,” added the 28-year-old, who improves to 50-1-2. “I feel satisfied because I gave a great fight. It was a clear victory.”

Golovkin, who fell to 38-1-1 after the loss, left the ring immediately to get eight stitches to a cut above his right eye.

He later said he believed he had done enough to win – and opened the door for a possible third instalment.

“I’m not going to say who won tonight, because the victory belongs to Canelo according to the judges,” the deposed WBA, WBC and IBO middleweight king said.

“I thought it was a very good fight for the fans, and very exciting. I thought I fought better than he did.”

When asked about a third fight, he said: “Under the right conditions, yes.”

Alvarez’s victory ended the 36-year-old’s dream of securing a record-breaking 21st consecutive defence of his middleweight titles.

While Golovkin appeared to take issue with the result, there was little sense of controversy about Saturday’s outcome.

Canelo unruffled

Golovkin’s trainer Abel Sanchez was among those who had few complaints.

“I had it close going into the 12th round,” Sanchez said. “We had good judges who saw it from different angles. I can’t complain about the decision, but it’s close enough to warrant a third fight.

“Canelo fought a great fight, congratulations.”

Both fighters fought cagily from the outset, reluctant to trade heavy blows.

Golovkin appeared to edge clear in the early rounds, working well behind his stiff left jab, but Alvarez remained unruffled.

The Mexican, who had been accused of “running” in the first fight, came forward relentlessly and dominated the mid part of the fight.

On all three judges cards Alvarez dominated the middle rounds from the fifth through to the eighth, building a handy lead to defend in the closing stages.

Golovkin attempted to rally, rocking Alvarez with a stinging right hand in the 10th before pinning him on the ropes with a flurry of hooks.

But Golovkin was never able to press home his advantage, and each time Alvarez was able to evade the looming danger to slide away and respond with blows of his own.

With Golovkin needing a big finish in the 12th, Alvarez again proved up to the challenge, shrugging off an early uppercut to hold on for the win.

Although statistics afterwards showed Golovkin had thrown more punches, it was Alvarez who landed more consistently, outscoring his rival 143-116 in power punches.

An array of stars from the movie and sports world were amongst a crowd of 21,965 for the most anticipated fight of the year, with LeBron James rubbing shoulders with Hollywood icons such as Denzel Washington and Will Smith.

But the technical, tactical battle never quite lived up to the explosive classic fans had hoped for.

MOST VIEWED

  • Seven positive for Covid-19, Hun Sen confirms local transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen announced that there has been local community transmission of Covid-19. However, he urged the people not to panic even though the Ministry of Health announced the discovery of seven new cases on Sunday. Among the victims are Chhem Savuth, the director-general

  • Cambodia at ‘most critical moment’, Hun Sen warns

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said the first community transmission of Covid-19 in Cambodia has led the country to the “most critical moment” that warranted urgent, large-scale operations to contain the pandemic. Hun Sen, who confirmed the first local transmission on November 28, said the source of

  • PM confirms community transmission, calls for unity

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has called on the public to stay calm, unite and follow the Ministry of Health guidelines after the wife of a senior official tested positive for Covid-19 in the Kingdom’s first case of community transmission. The case has drawn criticism

  • Over 110 garment factories close

    A government official said on November 22 that at least 110 garment factories had closed in the first nine months of the year and left more than 55,000 workers without jobs – but union leaders worry those numbers could be much higher. Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training undersecretary

  • Singapore group seeks $14M in damages from PPSP over ‘breach of contract’

    Singapore-based Asiatic Group (Holdings) Ltd is seeking a minimum of $14.4 million relief from Cambodia Securities Exchange (CSX)-listed Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone Plc (PPSP) for allegedly breaching a power plant joint venture (JV) agreement. Asiatic Group’s wholly-owned Colben System Pte Ltd and 95 per

  • PM vows to protect Hun family

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has vowed to continue his fight against opposition politicians who he said intend to smash the Hun family. Without naming the politicians but apparently referring to former leaders of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), Hun Sen said there