Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Athletics maintains Russia ban over doping



Athletics maintains Russia ban over doping

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
IAAF medical expert Rune Andersen (right) on Tuesday said that athletics’ anti-doping taskforce had ‘recommended to the IAAF Council and the Council accepted that the Russian athletics federation not be reinstated’.

Athletics maintains Russia ban over doping

The governing body of world athletics said on Tuesday that it was maintaining Russia’s ban from the sport over mass doping, saying Moscow had failed to provide evidence it was adequately testing Russian competitors.

Despite Russian athletes being allowed back into Olympic competition, the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) said the country’s anti-doping body RUSADA had met some of the requirements to be reinstated, but not all.

The IAAF’s medical expert Rune Andersen said the sport’s anti-doping task force had “recommended to the IAAF Council and the Council accepted that [the Russian athletics federation] RUSAF not be reinstated’.

“Because, while many reinstatement conditions had been met, there are several that still have not been satisfied,” Andersen told a press conference in the English city of Birmingham.

“For example, RUSAF and RUSADA have still not provided a test distribution plan for 2018 that shows an adequate amount of testing of Russian athletes.”

Andersen also said RUSAF had not demonstrated “that it has fixed previous legal issues that meant it was unable to enforce provisional doping bans”.

The International Olympic Committee lifted its ban on Russia at the end of the Pyeongchang Winter Games last month.

Russia had been banned from the Olympic movement over allegations it put in place a huge system of state-sponsored doping culminating at the 2014 Russian-hosted Sochi Winter Games.

A team of 168 Russians competed in Pyeongchang under the banner of Olympic Athletes from Russia, but a Russian curling medallist tested positive for a banned substance.

Dmitry Shlyakhtin, the head of Russian athletics, said he would seek a meeting with IAAF President Sebastian Coe and Andersen to argue his case.

“We’ve sent them all the materials and the documents [they asked for],” he said, adding that the IAAF task force “has not been in touch with us since October”.

Sergei Shubenkov, Russia’s 2015 world 110m hurdles champion, said the IAAF’s decision was incomprehensible.

“I just have no idea how to take all this,” he told R-Sport agency. “For a long time now I have not understood what’s going on at these [IAAF] meetings and their decisions.

“In any case there’s no choice [for us athletes] and I’ll continue training and preparing.”

Several Russian athletes competed as neutrals in last week’s World Indoor Championships in Birmingham, including the winners of the women’s and men’s high jump competitions, Mariya Lasitskene and Danil Lysenko.

MOST VIEWED

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia to make auto-rickshaws

    Locally-assembled electric auto-rickshaws could hit the Cambodian market as soon as early in May after the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC) gave the greenlight to an investment project at the weekend. According to a CDC press release, it will issue a final registration