Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Attackers try to cut off South African triathlete’s legs




Attackers try to cut off South African triathlete’s legs

Attackers try to cut off South African triathlete’s legs

A South African triathlete is recovering after robbers used a hacksaw to try to cut off his legs when they attacked him on his way to a training session last week.

A gang of three men targeted 27-year-old triathlete Mhlengi Gwala in a dawn attack in the east coast city of Durban last Tuesday before dragging him to a bush and attempting to cut off his legs, the sportsman’s colleagues said.

Gwala’s friend and fellow triathlete Sandile Shange said Gwala told him that the attackers failed to cut through the bone because they had used a blunt, rusty saw.

“Two guys were holding his upper body and the other guy was just was cutting the leg, and I think when they got to the bone they got stuck,” Shange the 702 talk radio station.

“Mhlengi said the . . . saw they were using was very rusty and it was, like, oldish and it was not sharpened and they tried another leg.”

The attackers fled when a private security patrol passed close by.

Gwala then managed to limp to the road and raise the alarm.

The motive for the attack was not immediately known.

Doctors have said “he will be able to walk and run again” – but it will take a long time, according to Shange.

South African 2016 Olympic triathlon medallist Henri Schoeman described the attack in a tweet as “absolutely disgusting! How safe are we on South Africa’s roads?”

South Africa suffers some of the world’s highest crime rates and faced 34 homicides per 100,000 inhabitants in 2015-16, according to police.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15

  • CNRP activist freed; Sam Rainsy pledges return to Kingdom

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Monday released former CNRP activist Oeur Narith on bail after the court ended its questioning on suspicion of receiving money from abroad and plotting to overthrow the government, according to the authorities. National Police spokesman Chhay Kim Khoeun confirmed

  • Hun Sen says developing nations ‘targets of rivalry’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen spoke at the virtual UN General Assembly on Monday, saying that developing nations often become targets of punishment for their imperfections when they don’t rise to the standards of developed countries. He said rivalries between superpowers often hamper developing countries’