Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Australia captain sent home in disgrace but coach survives



Australia captain sent home in disgrace but coach survives

Australia skipper Steve Smith was heading home from South Africa in disgrace on Wednesday after a cheating scandal in the third Test with South Africa. AFP
Australia skipper Steve Smith was heading home from South Africa in disgrace on Wednesday after a cheating scandal in the third Test with South Africa. AFP

Australia captain sent home in disgrace but coach survives

Australia skipper Steve Smith headed home from South Africa in disgrace on Wednesday and his deputy David Warner lost the captaincy of his Indian Premier League side after a cheating scandal left the team fractured amid mounting suspicion that the full story has not yet emerged.

Smith, Warner and opening batsman Cameron Bancroft, the player caught on camera attempting to doctor the ball with a piece of tape, have been banished for their role in a ball-tampering incident which has dragged Australian cricket’s reputation through the mud.

Vice-captain Warner was reported to have been ostracised by the team’s fast bowlers who feel he unfairly linked them to the row and he stepped down on Wednesday as captain of Indian Premier League side Sunrisers Hyderabad.

Smith had already been replaced as skipper of rival side Rajasthan Royals in the cash-rich Twenty20 competition due to start next month as the controversy rages on.

“In light of recent events, David Warner has stepped down as captain of Sunrisers Hyderabad,” Sunrisers chief executive K Shanmugam said on the team’s official Twitter page.

Wicketkeeper Tim Paine will take over the captaincy for the fourth and final Test starting in Johannesburg on Friday, with hosts South Africa leading a bad-tempered series 2-1 as Matt Renshaw, Glenn Maxwell and Joe Burns fly to South Africa to replace the exiled trio.

Coach Darren Lehmann escaped punishment and will remain in charge with further sanctions on the three players to be announced “within 24 hours”.

“I understand and share the anger and disappointment of Australian fans,” Cricket Australia chief James Sutherland said of the controversy in the third Test in Cape Town last Saturday.

“On behalf of Cricket Australia, I want to apologise to all Australians that these events have taken place, especially to all the kids.”

Lehmann had no ‘prior knowledge’

Australian Cricketers’ Association chief executive Alistair Nicholson said serious mistakes had been made by Smith and his co-accused, and they understood this.

“The players are remorseful for the mistakes they have made. And they regret how their actions have represented themselves, teammates, cricket and their country,” he said.

Smith is reportedly distraught and support is being offered to help him cope.

“Welfare of all players is a highly relevant consideration,” said Nicholson.

Smith had already been suspended for one Test and docked his entire match fee by the International Cricket Council, and Sutherland said further punishments “will reflect the gravity of the situation”.

Cricket Australia also announced an independent review into “the conduct and culture” of the team, which the ACA said should examine the behaviour of administrators.

“Australia’s core values of respect, integrity and fairness must be brought to bear on the game of cricket through such a process,” it said.

Bancroft used a strip of yellow sticky tape to pick up dirt and illegally roughen one side of the ball to generate more swing for Australia’s bowlers.

He was filmed with the dirtied tape and then trying to hide it down the front of his trousers.

Smith said after the Test that the Australia team’s “leadership group” had been aware of the plan.

Divisive Warner under fire

However, Sutherland insisted Lehmann was not involved.

“Prior knowledge of the ball tampering incident was limited to three players . . . No other players or support staff had prior knowledge and this includes Darren Lehmann, who despite inaccurate media reports, has not resigned from his position,” said Sutherland.

Former Australian captain Michael Clarke, the man Smith succeeded in 2015, believes there is more to the story that meets the eye.

“Too many reputations on the line for the full story not to come out. Cape Town change room is a very small place!” he tweeted.

Former England Test captain Michael Vaughan was similarly unconvinced, tweeting “Only 3 people knew ... #MyArse.”

Warner, a divisive figure in the world game, has become the focus of Australian media, who blame him for the scandal.

The Australian newspaper said there had been a “fierce feud” in the dressing room sparked by Warner’s alleged testimony to Cricket Australia’s integrity officers, with pace spearheads Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazlewood reportedly livid at being implicated.

It said they felt he was willing to blame them to take the heat off himself, with emotions so raw that Warner may never be welcomed back.

The Sydney Morning Herald said players had turned on Warner because he had attempted to “throw them under the bus”.

It quoted sources close to the team as saying the plan was devised by Warner and Bancroft and Smith agreed to it.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia to make auto-rickshaws

    Locally-assembled electric auto-rickshaws could hit the Cambodian market as soon as early in May after the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC) gave the greenlight to an investment project at the weekend. According to a CDC press release, it will issue a final registration