Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Australia chief sees way back for disgraced Warner

Australia chief sees way back for disgraced Warner

Australian cricketer David Warner holds a press conference at the Sydney Cricket Ground on MarAustralian cricketer David Warner holds a press conference at the Sydney Cricket Ground on March 31. AFPch 31. AFP
Australian cricketer David Warner holds a press conference at the Sydney Cricket Ground on March 31. AFP

Australia chief sees way back for disgraced Warner

Disgraced David Warner still has a future in Australian cricket, the sport’s chief executive James Sutherland says, handing the explosive opener a lifeline after a cheating scandal.

Warner was identified as the mastermind behind the plan to use sandpaper to tamper with the ball during the third Test in South Africa this year that shocked the sport.

While former skipper Steve Smith was charged with knowledge of the plot, Warner was charged with developing it and instructing Cameron Bancroft to carry it out.

Smith and then vice-captain Warner were banned for 12 months, while Bancroft was exiled for nine months.

All three held emotional press conferences to apologise, with public sympathy for a contrite Smith and Bancroft.

Warner, who was also banned from ever holding a leadership role again in Australian cricket, admitted he was “resigned to the fact” he may never play for his country again.

But Sutherland said the door remained open.

“I think everyone deserves their chance and their own personal redemption story is very much in their own hands now,” he told Melbourne radio station SEN late Tuesday.

“Each of them have to go about that during the time they’re out of the game and prove that they’re worthy [and] prove to the Australian selectors that they should want them back.

“They deserve that opportunity.”

‘I feel forgiveness’

Sutherland added that he felt for the players, whose reputations have been trashed.

“I feel forgiveness for all of them. I feel sympathy for them, and I want to see them all come back and play their best cricket. I believe they all can,” he said.

“Part of the design within the sanctions was to allow them to stay connected with the game.

“I also see part of our role is to support them with their state associations and their clubs, to help them stay hungry and come back and play their best cricket.”

Cricket Australia on Tuesday appointed an ethics guru to review the sport’s culture in the wake of the scandal to ensure there is never a repeat.

It will run in tandem with a separate probe announced last month into player behaviour.

MOST VIEWED

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong