Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Bolt to receive Maltese crosses?



Bolt to receive Maltese crosses?

Bolt to receive Maltese crosses?

Sprint king Usain Bolt could be making his way to Europe after being offered a two-year professional football contract in Malta, reports said on Tuesday, with the club saying it wanted to “write history” with the signing.

Bolt, 32, has been on trial with A-League club the Central Coast Mariners since arriving in Australia in August in his bid to pursue a boyhood dream of becoming a footballer after retiring from athletics last year.

The 100m world record-holder scored his first two goals in professional football on Friday when he started a preseason game against second-tier Macarthur South West United in Sydney.

Maltese club Valletta FC said they had made a formal offer which includes playing in its upcoming cup final, with chief executive Ghasston Slimen saying the move to snare Bolt was “about writing history”.

“Usain Bolt broke the record in Beijing [at the Olympics] in 2008, and I have followed him for the last year and a half on his football journey,” Slimen told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

“We play the final of the Super Cup on December 13, which we will win . . . so can you imagine Usain Bolt lifting the Super Cup trophy 10 years after he broke the record in Beijing?

“This isn’t about money – this is about history. This is something that they will talk about in 50 or 100 years’ time.”

‘Not a holiday’

A group of investors from the Sanban Group in the United Arab Emirates acquired a majority stake in the club last month, vowing to qualify for the group stages of Europe’s Champions League.

Slimen admitted Bolt still had to improve his footballing skills, but said he was inspired by the former sprinter’s jubilant celebrations – including the trademark lightning bolt victory pose – after the goals.

“I don’t want him to be here on holiday – I want him training hard,” he said, adding that he wanted Bolt to be lifting trophies during his stint at Valletta.

“I don’t want to make a big fuss, I want him to sign the contract, get on the flight, arrive in Malta and train, because we need to prepare for the Super Cup.”

The Australian agent who arranged Bolt’s trial with the Mariners declined to confirm or deny the reports when contacted on Tuesday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting