Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Breaking: Smith, Warner to stand down for rest of Test

Breaking: Smith, Warner to stand down for rest of Test

Steve Smith (left) and David Warner will stand down as captain and vice-captain for rest of Australia's third Test match against South Africa, Cricket Australia said on Sunday as it investigates a ball-tampering scandal. AFP
Steve Smith (left) and David Warner will stand down as captain and vice-captain for rest of Australia's third Test match against South Africa, Cricket Australia said on Sunday as it investigates a ball-tampering scandal. AFP

Breaking: Smith, Warner to stand down for rest of Test

Steve Smith and David Warner will stand down as captain and vice-captain for rest of Australia’s third Test match against South Africa, Cricket Australia said on Sunday as it investigates a ball-tampering scandal.

There have been growing calls for Smith to be sacked as captain after he admitted being the mastermind of a premeditated plan to change the condition of the ball on the third day of the Test in Newlands on Saturday.

“Following discussions with Steve Smith and David Warner they have agreed to stand down as captain and vice-captain respectively for the remainder of this Test match,” CA chief James Sutherland said in a statement.

Sutherland said Tim Paine would step in as acting captain for the remainder of the Test.

“This Test match needs to proceed, and in the interim we will continue to investigate this matter with the urgency that it demands,” he added.

“Both Steve and David will take to the field today under Tim’s captaincy.”

Sutherland earlier on Sunday announced an investigation into the scandal, which has plunged Australian cricket into crisis and resulted in widespread condemnation at home, including from Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull.

CA’s head of integrity Iain Roy and head of team performance Pat Howard were flying to South Africa to conduct the investigation.

“All Australians, like us, want answers and we will keep you updated on our findings, as a matter of priority,” the CA head added.

Television footage had showed Smith’s teammate Cameron Bancroft, 25, taking a yellow object out of his pocket while fielding in the post-lunch session and appearing to rub it on the ball.

He was later charged with attempting to change the condition of the ball.

Smith, 28, has earlier said he would not quit as he felt he was still “the right person for the job”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong