Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Buffon upbeat despite potential Champions League farewell



Buffon upbeat despite potential Champions League farewell

Gianluigi Buffon has admitted he could be playing his final Champions League game when Juventus take on Real Madrid on Wednesday night
Gianluigi Buffon has admitted he could be playing his final Champions League game when Juventus take on Real Madrid on Wednesday night

Buffon upbeat despite potential Champions League farewell

Gianluigi Buffon has admitted he could be playing his final Champions League game when Juventus take on Real Madrid in the quarterfinal second leg on Wednesday night, at 1:45am Cambodian time.

But the 40-year-old claims he is not saddened by the prospect, instead insisting there would be few better places to bow out than the Santiago Bernabeu.

Buffon is yet to confirm his plans this summer but he is out of contract at Juventus and the expectation is the Italian goalkeeper is likely to retire.

Juve are looking to make the impossible possible against Real, who boast a 3-0 advantage from last week’s opening leg in Turin.

“The important thing is that it is not for Juventus the last game – this is the most important,” Buffon said on Tuesday.

“The possibility that it will be mine fits but it is not something that depresses me or that leads me to negative thoughts.

“If it is like that, I would not have complained much as a child about playing my last [European] match against Real Madrid.”

Buffon has made 124 appearances in the Champions League, 110 for Juventus, but he has never lifted the trophy with the Italian club.

Last season, it was Real that denied Buffon becoming the oldest ever European champion as the Spanish giants strolled to a 4-1 victory in the final in Cardiff.

Buffon has been a Champions League runner-up three times with Juve in total and it would take an incredible comeback to prevent further heartbreak this week.

“We cannot play with the hope that we change everything in the first 20 minutes,” Juve coach Massimiliano Allegri said on Tuesday.

“I want to say the duty we have tomorrow is to erase that 3-0 which was a very hard result.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh unveils rules for post-lockdown transition

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration issued a set of detailed guidelines for the seven days to May 12 after the capital emerges from lockdown at the onset of May 6. In the 14-page document signed by municipal governor Khuong Sreng released on the evening of May 5, the

  • SBI LY HOUR Bank Launches Cross Border Money Transfer Service between Cambodia and Vietnam on RippleNet, utilizing DLT

    SBI LY HOUR Bank Plc and Hanoi-based Tien Phong Commercial Joint Stock Bank (TPBank) on Friday launched the first Cambodia-Vietnam money transfer service in real currency via RippleNet, provided by SBI Ripple Asia Co Ltd to provide safe, fast and convenient services. SBI LY HOUR

  • Cambodia ready to exit LDC status

    Cambodia is well-prepared to minimise economic risks when it graduates from its Least Developed Countries status, according to a senior official at the Ministry of Commerce on May 7. Four LDCs – Cambodia, Laos, Bangladesh and Nepal – met at a virtual workshop last week to explore potential

  • Nine US franchises eye Cambodia debut

    Nine famous US franchising companies are looking for business opportunities and expansion into Cambodia to build a footstep for a strong foundation in Southeast Asia. The US embassy in Phnom Penh, in partnership with the US Foreign Commercial Service and with support from the American

  • Nearly 2,000 detained for Phnom Penh curfew breach

    Nearly 2,000 people were detained in the capital for violating the curfew imposed by the government and Phnom Penh Municipal Administration. Municipal police spokesman San Sokseyha told The Post on May 16 that people were detained in two phases. In phase one, the government locked down Phnom

  • Jab drive announced for two more Phnom Penh districts

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration on May 15 announced a first-dose novel-coronavirus vaccination campaign for Boeung Keng Kang and Sen Sok districts from May 18-31, and a follow-up second-shot drive from June 1-15. Twenty vaccination sites have been set up in a combined 13 communes across both